Is this a good company to work for ?

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by anonymous, Feb 12, 2017 at 5:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

thank you, i suspected as much.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

FORGOT TO MENTION THAT AMGEN HAS THE WORST PIPELINE IN THE INDUSTRY

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

sounds good to me! any chance getting hired as a 50 yo who go laid off in a merger/aquisition?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Definitely. One of the parts of Amgen that I respect the most is that they appreciate maturity and experience. That never gets mentioned on this board and it is quite unfortunate because it's one of the characteristics that sets Amgen apart from other companies. Before coming here, half of my last company was full of immature 20-30 year olds who partied, struggled with work ethic, and constantly job hopped to the "latest and greatest" job opportunity. Although I am still young, I am a professional and don't have the patience for immature frat and sorority types at work.

Here, I am impressed with the amount of 40-60 year old reps, KAMs, DMs, and RDs. It is refreshing to work at a company that doesn't see age as a deterrent but instead sees it as an asset.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The only people who like
    Amgen come from other big Pharma primary care sales force. People who were the first onc reps at Genentech, millennium before takes a or celgene in the early days rarely come to amgen. It's the pcp reps who want to be specialty and biotech. Amgen has value for them even if it's not much better. For those who've tasted gold, amgen is like tasting mud. Gritty and gross.

Is Amgen a good company - depends where you came from.

10 car options is great for someone who had 2. It's terrible if you had nice allowance and got to drive a BMW.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hahaha! Complete lie, Amgen wipes out anyone tenured. That post was obviously from an outsider.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Come and join the party.....There are a lot of sales reps but very little sales....We have reps, RAS's, Nurses.....we are going to launch ROMO, I think they are going to sell 7 of those......That will keep the lights on....I dont see why you shouldnt join the party....Unless of course you are the last one hired before the great contraction........And it's coming like a freight train.......Current strategy is "throw everything at the wall in desperation and hope that something pops"....But time is ticking... Repatha will fall short of a reduction worthy of cost effectiveness and Romo will be delayed.......S2 2017 hiring freeze...you heard it here first.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

After about 6 months, you will hate every minute you are here. Don't listen to the lame leaders trying to put in good words on this site, check out the numbers of negative comments there are hundreds of thousands, this place pays well, but you will HATE IT otherwise.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You sound completely like a Genentech rep, "I drive a BMW!!!" Ha! Get over yourself. I drive a Volvo SUV and it's a pretty nice company car.

Dear OP, if your entire existence and self-esteem depends on what car you drive for work- I guess the message is- go to Genentech. Those reps appear to NEED a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus to make up for the other things they lack.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is total BS. Look around in TO, SF, Boston or in the field - no gray hairs or wisdom to be found. 50+ was purged from the ranks in 2014 RIF.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amgen reps want to be Genentech reps but the same can't be said the other way around

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I left that hole and have come back to say I agree with most posts. The place will sell you a line of BS. It was the worst experience of my career. Incompetent, time wasting fools. That being said, the pay was OK. The car was nice. The 401k is good, but the healthcare sucks. So whatever $$ you get in your 401k is lost since you have to pay ludicrous deductible and copays if you have a family. There is no NIRVANA, but this place will suck your blood.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I completely disagree. I can't speak to the various sites within Amgen but I can speak for the field, since that is where I am located. Also, the original question was posed by someone inquiring about a rep job. I don't know that they care about demographics in sites that don't apply to them.

In my region, every single DM is 45-60 years old. Also, I am in my early 40's and I am one of the younger reps in my district and in the region. What do you consider "older". You are not going to find many people between 60 and 70 years old because most people (based on our high salaries) have made enough money to retire by the time they reach the 60-65 age range. Maybe age demographics are different across various BUs. In oncology, I think people are very experienced, compared to other pharma companies.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amgen obu is the least therapeutic and respected oncology team. Amgen maybe older compared to big Pharma pcp but talent is lacking.

My god look at leaders like Laura brand leading the crown jewel Kyprolis. Her experience was one year as a DM in 2012, then they made her brand lead of xgeva with no Pharma marketing experience, then now head of Kyprolis after kicking the former onyx team to the curb. A BCG and Wharton MBA pedigree makes anyone qualified. She acts like she knows oncology and the science like she is an md. She is an advertising major but this my undergrad science degree is nothing. Such arrogance.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let me simplify this....

If you came from a shitty company amgen may be a little better for being slightly less shitty

If you've work at great companies in prime including amgen 20 years ago, then working her is like sticking your genitals in hot water

It's that simple

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Most all the business units get rid of high paid people (older) to replace for younger, common practice at Amgen. You must be in a pocket in the company, watch out, it won't last and they will have your head. A reorg with new leadership and all gray will be toast.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

agreed, sad but true

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Makes sense why turnover is so high

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is a great company if you enjoy making 10 calls a day! Make sure your calls are quality calls that are modeled after the challenger rep.