Is this a good company to work for ?

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by anonymous, Feb 12, 2017 at 5:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I realize CP is usually a troll/complain site, but I've found that occasionally you can get a few people who give great feedback. I see there are a few Institutional Sales rep positions open, are these positions any good? Any overall feedback is MUCH appreciated.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is probably the best possible place for you to work. Fulfillment - knowing that you are hear to save people's lives while working as part of a team that "has your back". Career Growth - seeing your mentors help you grow in ways you have only dreamed about while opening doors to pay raises and promotions. Healthy - feeling the emotional support, encouragement, inspiration, pure joy - these are the elements of a job at Amgen. All Men Get Everything Now ! AMGEN !!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My GOD; sounds like heaven! My take is run; this place is having the worst attrition ever because it is a pretty negative place to work. Whenever there are a lot of openings at an organization and the job is supposed to be so great, ask your self why are they open (unless they are new or part of an expansion)? Would anyone ever leave the nirvana described in the last post?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for responding. I never know either, I am out and looking for a new job, but seems like EVERY pharma site on here is hating their own company. I don't know where to look, but if Amgen is really in that bad a shape...I appreciate the insight!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

People walk out without having other jobs - seriously, it is THAT bad.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you came from Big Pharma....Amgen at best is no better or the same. The first few weeks of any new job will feel awesome but after that honeymoon, Amgen is all downhill. You realize that it's just as metric driven and bureaucratic as any large company you've been at. The problem is that Amgen sold you it was biotech and different. It's entrepreneurial and fast moving. Amgen was this, but over 20 years ago. If you are okay with constant layoffs, restructuring, checking the box, incompetent management, then it's bearable. If you wanted to get away from big pharma. You've come to the wrong place.

If you came from a small or medium biotech. Just run, you will hate it from the very first day and wonder if you were clinically insane when you accepted the job.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sad but true.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agreed. Once your done with the metrics, the telcos and the butt kissing, you might actually see a customer. By that time you are so drained, you forget why you went there in the first place.

At best this place is customer service. At worst this place is like being paid a lot of money to count unresolved specialty calls and mile markers.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Once you leave for a real biotech where your job is selling not ass kissing and making calls, you will understand how great it is.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No!

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There you go. It sucks. You've been warned.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Liars !! Losers !! Lameasses !!

As the sun rises with the golden hues streaking the skies over T.O. we gather in the gym for our daily workout. A quick mile on the treadmill, then hot yoga, a quick steam followed with a dry sauna... then to the cafeteria. Ahh yes organic yogurt from sustainable sheep milked by indigent workers, savored with a recyclable spoon. My supervisor likes us to each meet with our personal branding coach in the morning to talk about how our needs can be met through attainment of relevant corporate goals. I find this tiring and usually ask the on site massuse to get the tension out of my shoulders. Fortunately at lunch there's a refreshing couscous flavored with hand picked lemon and fennel served with farm raised salmon. Whew what a morning. After lunch and an insightful meditation (yesterday it was a gong meditation instead of the usual mantra based chanting) we'll gather in voluntary self organizing groups to explore how white privilege has shaped the hierarchy. That leaves time for a late day session on evaluating the performance of the sales force and identify areas for improvement.

Dont listen to the oppressor voices who violate our safe space by spewing venom. Join Amgen and help us set the people free by breaking the chains of capitalism.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

New hire here...first few weeks pleasant enough. Attended national sales meeting where a slide with ways to reduce attrition was address by senior management. WHAT? I just got here and this is a problem? Enough to address at a NSM? Then to top that off we went over commission structure for the year. NOT what was presented to me at interview. The commission is a joke. It's what normal companies make in 1 quarter if you DON'T make quota. Unless you need a job asap - RUN. Where does all the $ go - to all the legal problems this comapny has gotten into all these years. #wasteofmytime

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

All those sessions aren't free. Amgen doesn't subsidize or regulate price. And the food -- expensive adn shittty!!!!

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

what business unit? Amgen pulled the bait and switch huh? classic!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I will be the voice of reason on here because it appears that you are getting the typical CP crowd. Amgen is a really good company. The base pay is competitive and bonuses (during my four years here) have been reliable. Annual stock is a huge plus that most companies don't offer to reps. Here at Amgen reps get stock too. Health benefits are good but not great. However, since Obamacare was enacted, I would say this is par for the course at most pharma and biotech companies. Car options are great. We normally get 7-10 options to choose from and only pay taxes on personal miles. As usual, people that prefer car allowances tend to crab about this benefit as well. But, as a rep that came from a company with just two options, having 10 car choices is a nice change. 401k is one of the absolute best in this industry.

Ultimately, it comes down to your DM. I have a great DM who respects us, leaves us alone, and is low key and friendly on the one to two ride alongs we have each quarter. I think a major reason I like Amgen so much is because I have a great manager and an even better team.

Believe what you want but don't trust all of the negative crap on CP. Remember, most people that come on here only do so to have a crab fest and sit in their misery. I have worked at enough companies to know what both good and bad look like. Amgen is one of the good ones.

17. #17 anonymous, Feb 14, 2017 at 9:02 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017 at 9:35 PM
    anonymous

anonymous Guest

This person licks his manager's asshole and clean all the brown spots.

Amgen is heaven when you came from shit

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Pay: Ask for what you want. A sign on bonus will lock you in for 1 year. The pay is average.
    Medical Benefits: Average compared to industry. Kaiser, PPO and the new high deductible plan.
    401k: $16,500 for 1 year. This includes the match plus 5% contribution from Amgen. Best in the industry with immediate vesting
    Vacation: 3 weeks
    Shutdown: 1 week in July and 1 week in December
    Sick days: 10
    Volunteer Day: 1
    Gym: $600/year reimbursed

Culture is dependent on the business unit and your direct manager.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest