Is Mako the real deal?

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Blue belt has not even filed for a 510k for "open" total knee application, so it is not coming any time soon.

Buying Mako is about establishing an orthopaedic robotics program. Hospitals are looking at this as a way to differentiate themselves. It's one thing to have the blue belt and be able to capture the uni market cheaper than doing it with Mako, but it is an entirely different story to be able to offer an entire joint replacement program centered around robotics.

Again, obvious issues are cost and ability to support this business from a corporate perspective which do seem to be pretty significant issues up to this point.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Marketing so clueless. Same old story.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly, that line is on repeat. Obviously they see an issue coming.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amen

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ok big dogs, now let's see you actually put one in a facility! Selling one and then getting 2400 for a knee is not winning either. We know you need a few sales to save your jobs, but dont fuck it up for everyone else so you can get 3 Stryker hospitals to use it.....

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oh you know that's gonna happen. Hospitals will only agrees to buy one of they can get a new contract on bare minimum prices. It will buy itself in less then a year on the price difference. If you are thinking about trying to sell one be prepared to do twice the amount of work. Only way you will hit your quota. Everytime this issue has been brought up it you get a mumbled response and they run until they think you forgot. They just want you to sell a unit to cover their ass on this, nobody cares about the rep, we all got that feeling during otismed.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'll keep the contract I have in place before we try and and sell one in my accounts. A little over a year before our prices get hacked anyways. Do we get 12% on a mako unit? Didn't think so. Truly not worth the hassle.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

if you all are thinking of having to cut your joint price to sell a mako, you're doing it wrong.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Says who? Marketing? Have you been in a meeting with a hospital talking about purchasing mako? They laughed at me, literally.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are you a mako cap rep or joint rep?
    I'm going to assume joint rep, bc mako reps don't care too much about joint prices. what implant does your (mako) champion surgeon currently use?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for the reply marketing. Shows you have no clue what goes on in the field.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Actually I'm a joint rep. The price of the implant should only be hit if you can go sole source, which would happen w or w/out a mako involved. If you have to simply give up price to place a unit, you're right. It wouldn't make sense at this point.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Word on the street is the willow curve is taking all of the mako business. That shit is revolutionary.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Stryker trying to buy the willow curve to curb that competition.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No multi vendor hospitals will buy a non open platform machine. Hell, good luck getting a Stryker only hospital to use one. No wonder why you lost good people to bluebelt. Even they couldn't believe the thought process going on.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Pretty much every unit in the field is in a multi vendor hospital

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We are talking about paid for units.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So am i

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We lost another big mako user. Stayed with Stryker but bailed on mako. Adding to much time to cases was #1 problem. Not for high volume guys.