Is it true there are 4-5 oncology reps sharing a territory?

Discussion in 'Bristol-Myers Squibb' started by Anonymous, Feb 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interested in coming on board, but heard I would potentially be the 5th rep in a territory all calling on the same providers- different indications, but still. Isn't that a little over kill? That seems a little primary care mentality for me. Thoughts?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I get tired of hearing about "primary care" as if other divisions are so much better. Get over yourself and consider yourself lucky if you have a job in pharma, whether in primary care or not. And 'considering coming on board'??? Those slots are highly highly competitive. You had better think "I hope they have a shred of interest in me" instead.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Of course Primary Care is very important - most primary care reps are in teams of 3-4 - which depending on your access and size of the territory could be reasonable. However, Oncology is very specialized with fewer clinics and access is notoriously more difficult than primary care. If you are 1of 5 and you are all calling on these same clinics where access is difficult, getting appointments is difficult, securing lunches, breakfasts, recruiting for programs etc. - I would think sharing that with 4 other people would be extremely tough when you are all seeking the same metrics and need to be accountable. I know oncology reps that have single layer geographies where hitting the metrics demanded is tough enough on their own and still not having to compete with anyone else for those spots. If you had to compete with 4 other people for all of these access opportunities I would imagine it would be a great deal of tripping over each other and confusion. No?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4-5 oncology reps in a POD? Tripping over one another would be the least of it. Sounds very old-school Big Pharma Primary Care and we know what a great business model that was. I bet the Oncology groups just love it. Be ready for plenty of good 'ole back-stabbing, stealing credit from others achievements, jealousy, conniving, arrogance, and shameless self-promotion. It's all relative though. How good is your current gig? Are you an unselfish and happy "team-player" or do you enjoy the predatory environment of "corporate Darwinism?"

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's not a good gig, but this opportunity sounds equally grim. I haven't shared a territory in over 3 years and honestly would not want to go back to that scenario. Specialty clinics are far fewer than primary care and access is especially difficult in my area in oncology - so much so.. That I woukd find it unimaginable how 5 people could all be sharing these clinics. Many oncology offices the providers treat all cancers so having a different indication doesn't really matter. Thank you for your post - sounds like the grass is not greener over here.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I actually agree with you. I am glad you sound less arrogant and more realistic than your original post. I am not sure how a 5 person team would really work to be frank.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please Genentech has like 8-10 reps in a respective territory!!!
    Biotech bull shit!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lynelle will get promoted soon then the new VP will do layoffs. Typical management tactics, one expands and one does the layoffs.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are spot on!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is going to be one big mess with 5 reps. Been here about 10 years and I hate the thought of it already. Can not wait to leave. Take the pipeline and shove it.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was very interested in this position and still am to an extent. However being in the oncology market and having my own territory I do not see how any company can have more then 2 reps in a territory that is completely over doing it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Then go away.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Come at your own peril, the history with BMS is load up a territory with way too many reps, and them downsize, then load up again, then "reorg". Stay where you are if it is in any way a decent job. BMS oncology management has been pathetic for many years.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thats how management justify their jobs by messing with the reps lives

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Way too many reps in each territory. We are falling all over each other!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone with oncology experience not running from a bad manager will avoid BMS like the plague. You don't have to convince anyone here with experience and brain to stay away. BMS oncology is a complete cluster.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

These pods are good we meet at cafe and touch sock puppet

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Leadership that can actually get away with saying the F bomb on stage at a national meeting. How cool is that!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Several good BMS reps have gone over to Merck Oncology.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

But with the new lung indication that covers about 5% of lung cancer! we can't lose!