Interviewing-- Covidien, EndoChoice, American Medical Sys

Discussion in 'Medical Equipment/Device Sales-General Discussion' started by sparty789, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. sparty789

sparty789 Guest

I'm trying to get into the medical device industry (currently have 3 years of strong B2B copier sales with proven track record of success) and am currently in the midst of interviewing with Covidien, EndoChoice and American Medical Systems (recently acquired by Boston Scientific). All three positions are associate-level with the intention of transitioning to a full territory manager eventually. Any insight on the position, company, interview tips, anything is really, really appreciated!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Covidien/Medtronic is a solid company. I've been with Covidien for 10 years. It would probably be the best option for you in terms of getting exposure to a variety surgical specialties and procedures.

Can't really give you any advice on AMS, but Boston Sci is a good company.

Endochoice would be the least desirable, in my opinion.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The TDR role at Covidien is a very good way to get into the med device world.

Remember you will probably be in this role for 18-24 months before becoming a full line rep with them. There are no guarantees of anything sooner unless something somehow opens up unexpectedly in the territory you are in. Also keep in mind on the resume it will be Medtronic which has a lot of pull with other companies

The AMS/Boston Sci position is also very good. My question is will you be learning everything in their men's health division or just the Greenlight Laser? I am not sure being an associate rep initially for just the Greenlight would be the best way to go only because it will depend on how many hospitals already have it by the time you become a full line rep but again Boston Sci is a very well respected name on the resume.

It may come down to money on these 2.

4. sparty789

sparty789 Guest

The AMS role will be covering the men's pelvic health products, not the GreenLight laser. Thanks for your input!! Medtronic/Covidien has been my #1 choice in the process so far. However, it sounds like their hiring process will take the longest and I'm not sure what I should do if I happen to get an offer in the mean time...??

5. sparty789

sparty789 Guest

The AMS role will be covering the men's pelvic health products, not the GreenLight laser. Thanks for your input!! Medtronic/Covidien has been my #1 choice in the process so far. However, it sounds like their hiring process will take the longest and I'm not sure what I should do if I happen to get an offer in the mean time...??

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Be upfront about your situation. If they think your the right candidate, things can be expedited

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Covidien deadline is 11/9 to start on 12/1.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Stay away from Endochoice. That company on your resume isn't going to help you.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I disagree. Endochoice may not have the name recognition as the others but offers solid capital equipment, disposable and diagnostics sales experience. If you're successful with a company like Endochoice, you can sell anything and have a good story to tell when looking at new opportunities.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's funny. Good luck telling other companies that you did a great job selling bite blocks and other commodity items like cleaning brushes. That stock has been tanking since the IPO and will probably be out of business in 18 months.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"If you're successful with a company like Endochoice, you can sell anything"....that pretty much sums up the opportunity.