I get depressed when I think about losing my pharma gig and having to work a real job!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Oct 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

nothing sends my mood into a tailspin faster than the thought of losing this pharma "sales"
    gig that I can do part time in my sleep, and having to work a real job in the real world...

No wonder that everyone scratches and claws to try and stay in the drug biz...

there is simply nothing else like it out there anywhere...Amazing they keep paying people as well as they do without demanding more accountability.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It won't last forever. Too late in the game.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There will always be contract work for those that can get out of bed

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Go back to bed where you belong.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

the only thing more depressing would be thinking you had to work in Pharma another 5,10,15.... Years.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Got that right.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't be a fool...contract jobs are hard to get ...very hard to get.

... it's equally as difficult to land these gigs as direct manufacturer jobs.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

your an idiot

Let me see, I need someone who has the ability to interact with highly educated physicians, nursing staffs and office staffs. I need someone who has the ability to comprehend and convey scientific information. I need someone who can represent my company in a highly federally regulated environment. Hmmmmm, let me go find a high school educated goof and pay them 10 bucks an hour. Merck has no choice. They don't want to have to maintain a highly compensated sales force. However they have to hire folks with college degrees who possesses some social skills and some degree of responsibility. In a competitive workforce you will have to pay them.

It may seem as though you don't do much and you don't regularly engage in scientific discussions where your "selling" your product however, Merck has no presence in your area and watch what happens to market share.

If Merck could dump you and it have no effect they would. They will probably absolve themselves of your expense and just contract out in the future but that's another discussion.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

First of all, you start out your rant with bad grammar and an insult…charming!!

Secondly, you are describing the drug rep of 20-30 years ago - not the Barbies and Kens Merck chooses to hire today…Granted, some of these folks are smart and good communicators, but most are just adept (like everyone else) at ordering deli to be delivered.

Lastly, your pipe dreams of a "competitive" workforce are delusional…there are thousands and thousands of unemployed drug reps out there, most of whom would work for total compensation of 40 or 50k at this point…Pharma reps are not in short supple cochise.

The Drug Rep job is not really needed anymore, and exists solely to provide managers with people to manage so they can keep their cushy jobs. If you don't see that, you are delusional.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Kenny will lay you off soon enough to keep stock price high.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You're. Not Your. Not much that came after made much sense either.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Uh oh! The effin Grammar Police are in town. Everybody turn on your spell checker!

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can the company find plenty of well qualified candidates (think recent college grads with 2 years outside experience or that 2nd income seeking spouse), pay 50K plus car plus benefits plus a $5K bonus? Pharma co's are painfully aware of their high priced 'seasoned'