Glossary of Hostile Takeover Terms with Discussion

Discussion in 'Allergan' started by Shoham, Jun 13, 2014 at 2:08 AM.

1. Shoham

Shoham Member

The way I see it, if we give $6B cash to the PFE shareholders and do not reduce the share count in the process, then the company we are getting is worth $6B less than otherwise.

Any changes in deferred tax liability is part of the value creation. There is no specific argument as to why it should somehow belong to one side more than to the other. Both sides are necessary to make it come into existence.

Dan.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Please help me see the upside for AGN if it is an a share deal and the AGN value is created by the pfizer share price. Would you also say this deal is more likely with the 29% probability figure you describe? I don't see what compelled BOD for AGN to take this deal. Thanks

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My understanding is that the cash is in lieu of receiving shares in the new PFE so this will effectively reduce the outstanding shares and not be a net negative to AGN. Dan, can you confirm?

PFE has a planned share buyback and historically has done this in a big way. With overseas cash freed up I suspect through buy backs and dividends the company will be shareholder friendly.

P551

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Positive spin: btw these numbers have not been posted before

So deal share prices were taken from Oct 28th market close before deal was hinted at.
    AGN was $287.20. Forget deal premium % because the deal was structured all on Pfizer share price.

Pfizers price was $35.45. At 11.3 ratio that made AGN worth 35.45 * 11.3 = $400.85

Since deal is based only on Pfizer share price, Pfizer AND Allergan must have that price be attractive to shareholders and investors. Hence the sweetener is at close:

Pfizer shareholders get 1 share for every share they own at close (a double). This mitigates capital gains tax and could make buying Pfizer very profitable down the road. That could be catalyst to drive Pfizer shares higher which = higher AGN price at close. Kinda brilliant if it works. It just looks really bad right now. Dan is of course right, this deal needs to be sold correctly.
    To me buying Pfizer shares looks like it has more upside.

Dan and P551 Please correct me if I'm wrong here

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The SEC filing is now out. There are several breakup clauses enumerated in the filing. Most of the clauses are reciprocal in terms of if either side basically decides against the merger then there is a fee to be paid to the other party. There are 2 key clauses though that we will need to pay close attention to. The first being that the deal is contingent on AGN closing the sale to Teva. While this has always been thought of as part of the deal, there is always some risk associated with this transaction - like all transactions, it ain't over 'til it's over! Secondly, the deal can be terminated if there are any unfavorable tax changes that would remove the tax benefits inherent in the merger and allow PFE to be treated as a US company. See below:

"The Merger Agreement also contains specified termination rights, including, among others, the right of either party to terminate the Merger Agreement if (i) either of the requisite stockholder approvals have not been obtained, (ii) the board of directors of the other party effects a change of recommendation, (iii) the closing has not occurred by October 31, 2016, subject to extension to March 31, 2017 in certain circumstances, (iv) there is a material breach by the other party of any of its representations, warranties or covenants, subject to certain conditions, or (v) there is an adverse change in law that, in the opinion of tax counsel, would cause the Combined Company to be treated as a U.S. domestic corporation for U.S. federal income tax purposes.

In addition, the obligation of the Company to complete the Merger is subject to the closing of the transactions contemplated by the Master Purchase Agreement, dated as of July 26, 2015, by and between Allergan and Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., as may be amended in accordance with the terms thereof and with the Merger Agreement.

The breakup clauses that require compensation to either party include:

"The Merger Agreement provides, among other things, that a fee is payable if the Merger Agreement is terminated in the following circumstances: (i) if one party’s stockholders vote down the transaction and the other party’s stockholders approve the transaction (and neither party’s board of directors changes its recommendation), the party whose stockholders voted down the transaction must pay a termination fee of $1.5 billion; (ii) if one party’s board of directors effects a change of recommendation in response to a “superior proposal” and the other party’s board of directors confirms that it does not intend to change its recommendation, the party whose board of directors changed its recommendation must pay, on a termination by the other party of the Merger Agreement, a termination fee of $3.5 billion; (iii) if one party’s board of directors effects a change of recommendation other than in response to a “superior proposal” and the other party’s board of directors confirms that it does not intend to change its recommendation, the party whose board of directors changed its recommendation must pay, on a termination by the other party of the Merger Agreement, a termination fee of $3.0 billion if such change of recommendation occurs on or prior to March 1, 2016, or $3.5 billion if such change of recommendation occurs after March 1, 2016; (iv) if one party receives a competing proposal, that party’s stockholders subsequently vote down the transaction, and that party consummates such competing proposal or enters into a definitive agreement providing for such competing proposal within 12 months which is later consummated, the party adopting such competing proposal must pay a termination fee of $3.5 billion; and (v) if a party terminates due to an adverse change in law, the terminating party must reimburse the other party for its expenses up to $400 million.

So here you have it. Most of these terms are customary, but there is an allowance for either party to opt out, for a fee, if either party receives a "superior proposal". Of note is the nominal up to $400 million to be paid if termination is due to "adverse change in law". This tiny amount of money is not going to bind either side, so to me the biggest risk to the deal continues to be related to the tax law and the politics around the deal. This is presumably why Wall Street is not showing either company any love, share price wise. Let's keep up the dialogue! Dan, let us know what your take is on all of this.

P551

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What do you mean by "a double"?

P551

7. Shoham

Shoham Member

The language says $6-12B, with the amount prorated in case of over- or under-subscription.

Let's imagine an extreme situation: Not even one Pfizer shareholder tries to sell their shares back. What happens: Pfizer has $6B left over, which they then distribute prorata to their shareholders. Every shareholder gets a $0.97 check in the mail (per share). There is no reduction in share count, but there is a reduction in assets -- so, when Allergan gets the company; it gets a company with just as many shares, but less assets.

Let's now imagine the opposite extreme: Over $12B worth of Pfizer shareholders ask for cash. Presumably, they are asking for more cash than they would have gotten in the open market (or else, why bother with the special process?). It isn't clear what is the buyback process, but one has to assume -- even if it is synced to the open-market -- that it will give out more than would have come through the open market without it (or, again, why bother?). Again, more cash is going out than share count is reduced (but, in this instance, it's hard to figure out by how much).

For illustrative purposes, imagine we have two companies. Each company has exactly $100 in the bank and no other assets. Each company has exactly 100 shares outstanding. It's easy to see that each share, in each company, should be worth exactly $1. Now, imagine the two companies agree to merge, with each share in either company being exchanged for one share in the new company. The new company will have $200 in the bank and 200 shares outstanding, so each share is still worth $1. Now, imagine that the merger agreement has a provision allowing company A to spend $50 of its cash on buybacks before the merger, with under- and over-subscription proration as in the Pfizer deal. If the entire $50 is spent, and all shares are bought back for exactly $1, then there will be no effect (company A will simply have it's share count go down to 50, so after the merger there will be 150 shareholders and the merged company will have $150 in the bank -- still $1 per share). However, what if no one subscribes? Then company A will give each of it's shareholder $0.50 (prorating the "leftover" $50 among their shareholders) but will still have 100 shares outstanding. After the merger, there will still be 200 shares outstanding, but only $150 in the bank -- making each share worth $0.75 ( = $150/200 ). Company A shareholders are happy -- they each got $1.25 ($0.50 in cash and $0.75 worth of merged-company shares) -- and company B shareholders are screwed -- they each traded their $1 share for a $0.75 share. Conversely, imagine that company A offered to buy back its own shares for $5 each (with the $50 cap) (I'm deliberately using extreme numbers for illustrative purposes). Now, all 100 shareholders will offer their shares for buyback, but it will be prorated and only 10 shares will actually be bought back ($50 / $5). So now, going into the merger, we will still have 90 shares of company A, but only $50 in it's bank account. The merged company will now have $150 in the bank, and 190 shareholders, making each share worth about $0.79. Again, Company B shareholder lost out. the only way Company B shareholders can actually gain, is if Company A shares were bought back for LESS than $1 each. But that ain't going to happen.

My arithmetic is based on the assumption that the Pfizer shareholders, as a group, would be smart and coordinated enough to maximize their portion of the deal (and it is their Board's duty to make sure this happens!). I don't have a good capture on how to maximize it if the entire $12B is disbursed (presumably by making the purchase price as high as possible, but there are some opposing factors I don't know how to quantify). I do know how to do the math if the minimum is hit (meaning none of the $6B is used), so I used that number for my math (figuring that's the minimum Pfizer shareholders can take out of the pie, if they are coordinated).

Dan.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What do you mean by "a double"?

P551
    No expert here, okay? But wont PFE shareholders get one share for each they own at close? That doubles the number of shares they own. Regardless of PFE price at they will get a better deal at close vs AGN

Just looking at the close not the combined company post close.

Is that wrong?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's an exchange so it is 1 share of the combined company for 1 share of PFE. A 1 for 1 exchange, unless they choose the cash option.

P551

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So you are adjusting the price for the cash payment, but not adding in the value creation from any deferred tax liability being eliminated? I guess that just doesn't make sense to me since both are balance sheet items working in opposite directions. If we want to account for one of them, we should account for both of them.

11. Shoham

Shoham Member

There is book value, and there is valuation. Cash (including "near-cash") is just about the only quantity that is unambiguously the same in both. Everything else is a moving target.

Deferred tax liabilities can be (or could have been) eliminated in many ways (the company could have a future operating loss; it could acquire or be acquired by a company with an accumulated tax loss; it could increase R&D investments; tax laws can change; it could have had an inversion with someone else; and so on and so on). Presumably, the valuation of Pfizer (captured in its stock price) already incorporated the high likelihood that it will have found some way or another to eliminate this liability. Cash, on the other hand, can not be so easily created (or else, who would need to have operations? :) ). Whenever you take a dollar off the table, you are dropping the value of the company by a dollar. No ambiguity whatsoever.

In fact, the mechanics of "ex-dividend" (where the share begins trading after a dividend -- or any distribution to the shareholders -- automatically at a value lowered by the dividend amount) is intended to capture this dynamic. If Pfizer were to distribute it's $6B minimum to it's shareholders (under the maximum under-subscription example scenario), there will be an "ex-dividend" event where it's share price will automatically decline by the (per share) dividend amount. Allergan shareholders will effectively be receiving 11.3 ex-dividend Pfizer shares (worth about $0.97, each, less than the current pre-dividend shares).

Value creation is the act of transforming assets in a way that the result is worth more than the sum of its parts. The potential for value creation is baked into the price of every stock; and the actual realization of it (for example through an inversion merger) unlocks that value. If the value unlocked exceeds what was baked into the share price, then the share price rises (for example, as happened with the Allergan-Actavis merger); if less, well, you can see where this is going...

Dan.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dan - can you give your thoughts on the planned breakup? How much value would that create for the Pfizer stock?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dan, we agree on a lot of things, but apparently this isn't one. You are advocating that the markets has already fully priced in that at some point they would eliminate the deferred tax liability, and thus have access to their hoards of cash without paying uncle Sam. I don't buy it. That's a contingent event that the market could not fully price in. So, as the deal nears closing, and becomes more certain, the value of PFE should increase because of the elimination of the deferred tax liability, and the ability to deploy the hoards of cash that are on hand. That is one of the reasons this deal is being done, is it not? Then, at that point, I agree you offset the cash payment to PFE shareholders.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

and offset a massssssssive buyback

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dan

First, thank you for your posts from the very beginning. Your calm objectivity has been incredibly helpful through the storm(s).

Second, I'm still not understanding what value this merger brings to AGN beyond market expansion. Everyone is talking about the value it brings to PFE? I'm just too naïve to understand.

Finally, I just saw the Bronte Capital blog. The list of Valeant specialty pharmacies (78) is unbelievable.

Thoughts? Again, thanks.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This sentiment has been shared by others, including a few of us here on CP. Basically I agree. I think the dust won't begin to settle on the highly politicized aspects of this deal until early to mid next year. I strongly suspect that the Q4 announcements from both companies in the Feb time frame will help boost confidence in the deal and will likely move the AGN share price favorably towards the implied deal value. Remember though that all stock deals always tend to have a larger spread up until close. This is for the obvious reason that the deal value is 100% tied to the acquirer's share price. Any volatility in the underlying stock will whipsaw the spread dramatically. We are suffering from this in the deal and for that reason, we will always see a reasonable spread, right up until close. I doubt the gap will get much closer than 5% until the very end.

I know there has been much said about value creation vs inherent value (i.e. 1+1 = 3 for value creation vs 1+1=2 for inherent value) and the fact that there isn't much obvious value creation in the foreseeble future. I'm of the opinion that the people at power at PFE and AGN, along with their respective cadre's of advisors who do fancy themselves as some of the smartest people in any given room, have information at their disposal to strongly believe there is value creation opportunity. I have learned (i.e. been burned!) that the information we (the common investor/employee/blog readers) are left to digest is only the tip of the iceberg and that the "juicy" stuff is held close to the insiders. There is a reason why this deal was done, and over time the outsiders will be able to understand why. One of the things we as AGN shareholders/stakeholders need to appreciate is that we have benefitted from large share price appreciation in recent times. Big pharma, like PFE, has a much longer time horizon. If we/Wall street are looking for 2016 value creation, we will not see any. However, if we take the view of a longer term big pharma investor and look out to 2018 and beyond, I suspect there is a much greater opportunity for the combined PFE/AGN than as separate standalone companies. Saunders came right out and said this, and he is in the catbird seat at AGN and clearly "knows things".

PFE has turned over every stone it could in an attempt to reinvent itself. They have chosen the AGN stone for reasons non of us are really privy to and I for one am willing to put some stock, literally, into this theory. The combined company will be a cash generating machine. The cash flow, combined with a liberated balance sheet, will result in a very shareholder friendly company. Long term share prices for PFE will approach $50 by end of 2018 - before any value creating potential split occurs. For example, if PFE were to take all of its deferred tax liability (~$24 billion) and use it to buy back shares of the combined company, there would be almost $2.50 in share price boost alone. Who knows if this will happen, but the point is there is an order of magnitude more power in the combined company than AGN currently has alone.

Look for PFE to deliberately boost it's share price in any what they can (stock buyback, "conveniently" positive guidance, etc.) so as we get closer to the AGN/PFE shareholder vote there is no reason for the deal to not get approved. FYI the unaffected share price of PFE the day before the announcement would value the AGN deal at ~$397/share based on the 11.3 share offer. This is not coincidentally close to the published figure that AGN leaked in terms of what it would take to get the deal done. To get back to this level PFE needs to be at about ~$35ish a share. The announced $5 billion share buyback in spring 2016 will add $0.80/share. Based on today's price for PFE this would put the shares at $34.40 - and only 2% away from the magic share price to net AGN ~$400 a share. You can count on this happening so the AGN shareholder vote becomes a slam dunk.

Bottom line, IMO, is that once we get into 2016 and get some 2015 Q4 results, 2016 guidance, and get closer to de-risking the Teva divestiture, we will see AGN share price appreciate. Anyone interested in being bullish can take advantage of the fact that buying AGN and waiting for the deal to close could result in a 15% appreciation based on the differential in the stock prices vs the deal structure. Let's see what happens over the next few months.

P551

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for your position, background and research. It is well thought out and highly reasonable. It also closely aligns with the "pitch " of both CEOs. Can I also ask others, why can't AGN grow itself to equal value ? If the Teva deal goes through and we are also flush with cash, and with a different CEO who's philosophy is not M&A but organic growth, why not? There are many things that need to happen still and my "gut" (instinct only) doesn't see this merger making it to completion; AGN is undervalued at $400. Premonition only; i have no training in finance but do read alot. Thanks again 551, appreciate your insight. No one has a Crystal ball but I do enjoy the banter.

19. Shoham

Shoham Member

Hey everyone!

I can't say that I have much to add. My only difference, and it is a rather nuanced difference, is that I think that when the board is asking shareholders to vote for something as important and as final as the sale of the company; it is incumbent upon them to articulate the value proposition and not just say "trust us, based on non-public information, this is a better deal than we can let out."

I'd also like to add that counterbalancing (even more than just counterbalancing) the possibility that there are un-articulated merger benefits ("upsides"), there is also the huge un-articulated downside of merger failure. The conventional wisdom is that 70-90% of all mergers fail (see Harvard Business Review report: https://hbr.org/2011/03/the-big-idea-the-new-ma-playbook for reference and discussion). So the upside opportunity needs to be big and reliable to counterbalance such a huge downside risk.

The value creation as currently articulated, limited essentially to tax inversion only (which I consider dubious), is uninspiring to Wall Street; to say the least. In this instance, I'm in agreement with the Street.

Dan.