Gallup phone interview

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Jan 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If they ask you if you have ever smoked pot or beat off, do not say no, or you will be eliminated, because they won't believe you. The voice stress analyser will sound an alarm on their side.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So if I'm reading this right, you are admitting you are human??!!! The question should be

Can you do the job and why?

Reading this post depresses me. The Corporate World is so dehumanizing.

I'm surprised they don't ask "Would you leave your wife if the Company asked you to?"

You have to go to HR to explain your personality???

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Face the fact's, some clown in upper management is related to the sales rep for Gallup. The program was pushed so that so and so could get a nice hefty commision. nothing more.

4. Romero

Romero Guest

I too am going to take the Gallop interview tomorrow. Any tips you can give me after you had the interview? What types of questions did they ask? Did you get the job?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The gallup test is based on a Nordstrom (sp) retail sales profile. It is 78% accurate, which means that even if you are great, you have 22% chance of not advancing in the interview steps. It also means that 22% that advance could be poor hires.
    Question, if Gallup was a proven science, why does Stryker continue to struglle in all areas of innovation, sales, marketing etc ?
    It is what it is. Good Luck to all.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had a job interview with Gallup a few weeks back and I have never seen anything so dull and unfocused. The interviewer was reading a text and felt like at one point was falling asleep. I have no idea how they choose their people because the interview gives only 5% chance to present yourself as a qualified candidate. How do they link answers to qualifications and the job applied for would be interesting to know, but I think that they choose the person based on his so called “personality.” If you present yourself like a cut-throat corporate capitalist they will hire you because it’s a corporation and the online and the interview questions are aimed at finding out how greedy and materialistic a candidate is.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

actually Gallup was not that professional based on my experience. They called about one hour earlier than the scheduled time and the interviewer obviously has no idea she got the time wrong.

When they called to arrange the interview, the person told me the interviewer will be a "he" from HK, but actually the call was from a girl in Beijing. They said it's going to last 70 minutes, but the girl can't wait to finish as soon as it reaches 45 minutes...agree that she's reading texts and was not that focused.

I scored high in "self-motivation" and "commitment", but very low in contribution in a team-set, which was a shock to me because I won many awards in recognition of my contribution at my work, both internally and externally.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You forgot T for task (STAR) Sit, Task, Action, Result.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You all need to better understand the role that the Gallup interview has in the hiring process. It is not a pass/fail determiner, but rather another selection tool in the process. Those of you very negative about it need to understand that it simply means that you are not a fit for the role ... It is clear that you didn't get a role you were looking for and are blaming this particular time-tested, statistically backed interview. No, I am not from Gallup and I am not a kool-aid drinker either. However, I have been in management for over thirteen years, spanning several companies. Until I experienced the Gallup interview as a hiring tool, I never really understood what was missing from the interview process and why candidates who seemed perfect and interviewed well didn't succeed at the job. It is all about each person's particular talents and how that meshes with the role. If someone needs to feel part of a team, they will be miserable working on their own and vice versa. Many people think they want to be a manager because they think that is the natural career progression and that everyone can learn to be one. Not true! Many people are not cut out to be managers and don't like to direct others or be responsible for the results of others. Thus, putting them in a manager role will make them miserable and they won't succeed. But they likely will never know why unless they have insight from their Gallup profile because they have been conditioned to want to move to manager. Having Gallup as a resource makes a huge impact in the ability to find the right person for very different roles.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kind of... My company also uses Gallup (ortho company, using the same interview as Stryker and using the results in a similar fashion). I have also long believed and even told others who feel dejected by the process that it's not necessarily a bad indicator for them but that they should just be happy that they weren't selected for a role for which they probably wouldn't have been an ideal fit and wouldn't have been happy in anyway. i.e., No hard feelings - it's just business. That said, I disagree that Stryker (and even my company) don't use this as a pass/fail test. As a hiring manager I have clear insight into this interview and what the results look like - they are very subjective. You don't get a pass/fail grade, or even an overall letter grade or anything like that. Rather, the results rank your percentile (as judged - subjectively - by the evaluator who conducts the interview) as compared to all others who've taken the interview in a number of different categories - generally speaking, it's categories that would indicate your aggressiveness and motivation, creativeness and ability to build relationships, workstyle, etc. I have seen numerous situations where this ends up becoming a stand-alone pass/fail decision maker
    rather than taking this in combination with all the other data on a candidate (past performance, interview assessments, etc.). Gallup can certainly help weed out less than ideal candidates, but it also equally weeds out very strong candidates if your HR group lets it (which seems very commonplace for those companies who've decided to use this tool).

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sour grapes

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was getting a blowjob when I did the Gallop and was given tremendous feedback.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How come the reps at Stryker all look alike?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They talk about this "test" that indicates you don't care about your family, you have no core values, you bounce checks you are a great fit for Stryker.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just be positive and out going and act like a sales person with alot of "woo" and you'll do fine. It's just another point of triangulation for SYK when they interview. Unfortunately, they rely too much on it, but hey, that's Stryker!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

F@!$ commerce!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks gallup sales rep. Just be honest and tell everyone you sold a bunch of half-wit managers with no real world experience or leadership skill a goofy psycho-babble test that probably isn;t predictive but allows a "Manager" to check a box on an applicant.

If the people hired do well on the test and make money for the company is that because the test worked or because the company got lucky.

Bill Gates couldn't get hired by Microsoft. Think about it.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went thru the interview process with Stryker and was blocked by the Gallup Interviewer several years ago, I have over 10 years successful sales management & leadership experience in medical devices and continue to exceed expectations on a yearly basis. Senior leadership from past companies call me with new opportunities all the time. As I interview Stryker reps in my current role, I often wonder how much talent they've left on the table with this outdated gallup garbage. There are many flaws in the process...one of them being the interviewers do not clarify their questions. For instance, "what do you think about reps who are Prima donnas?"....what a bullshit question to have in this type of setting when you can not clarify the situation. Obviously, you want team players, but if someone is a top performer who is exceeding their goal, but suffers a bit from the "it's all about me" syndrome, then it's up to the manager to turn-around that top performer into a team player. Before you fire them, some people can be molded and changed. It's up the leader to help pave the road for success. The interviewer lack of ability in clarifying or capturing those different scenarios is a MAJOR FLAW! Anyhow, I'm very happy I did not end up working for an organization that relies so heavily this criteria.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its a battle betweem HR and sales leadership at Stryker. If you recognize talent, you (the sales leader) , should nix the HR 'moonies'.
    Did you know that the gallup interviewers get paid by the number of interviews they conduct ?? (why do you feel so rushed)
    As far as outdated, yes, the porfile is based on a retail Nordstom sales clerk profile !!
    The hit rate for a gallup proflie is 78%. Or, in other words they loose 22% of good candidates.