From the Inventiv board

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by anonymous, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:22 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"
    I'm posting this as a courtesy to anyone who may be considering a contract with GSK. I've been in pharma for many years and never before have I worked for a more unprofessional organization. While I was grateful to take the contract in a pinch, I did so knowing it'd only be temporary.

I have no complaints about the InVentiv side of things. While the benefits and pay are lacking, that's to be expected with a contract company. That said, if you have to take a contract gig, I'd recommend looking anywhere but GSK.

If you do sign on, plan on having two managers, double the conference calls, and so many reps overlapping your territory that samples will be falling off the shelves. My GSK boss is a micromanager who does more harm than good during ride alongs. He pisses off my targets and so do my GSK counterparts. Meanwhile, I'm working two territories with targets my GSK manager hand-picked. We all know every job has its downsides, but I honestly felt embarrassed to represent GSK and I'm happy to have left. If you're considering GSK, I hope this post will inspire you to look elsewhere because they don't deserve your time."

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You have experienced the hell of the Twitty regime. Toilet will be flushing all of the leadership down soon enough.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Micromanagement in pharmaceuticals? No way!

Thank you for the post. This is why it is so important to understand people. The best managers are going to be men over 45, without question, because they have made their money, and understand that this game is BS. As a result, they set realistic expectations.

Otherwise, you are screwed with a young male manager or any female, for obvious reasons that women are not sharp business minds, and never will be.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What it does offer is a job with all the charm, grace and quiet dignity of a Donald Trump rally.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is the kind of crap that I've been talking about for 3 years now. We were once the biggest and baddest guy on the block. Because we haven't effectively launched diddly squat in eons, our "people-pod" Share of Voice strategy, the arrogance of our so-called managers, and all the busy work we get (ESPECIALLY what we had under PF), our reputation inside and out of the industry has taken huge hits.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

. GSK was indeed the baddest guy on the block.
    With the decision to go to the "Volume" strategy and sell oncology, very little was left to launch. Creating a once daily version of Advair (Breo) and thinking this would replace generic twice daily Advair was one of the stupidest decisions made. I hope once Witty is gone (hopefully long before March 2017) that all of the senior "leaders" in R&D are fired without severance due to incompetence. A breakup and sale are the only options left. Generic Advair is going to destroy GSK

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Its not solely R&D's fault. Keep in mind that we (like everyone else) tried to copy ugly-ass Pfizer's approach of hiring masses of reps to call on each doc. Once we did that, our R&D approach had to change. Because we now had a massive bloated field force to feed, we started focusing on finding mega-mega blockbusters. I know I am not the only one that remembers this.

Since we copied their strategy, our results are just like theirs: we have some "me toos" and modifications of old drugs or of first in class meds, none of which are going to be able to prop us up after the loss of Advair.

The chickens have come home to roost.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your post helps me now understand the volume strategy. GSK hopes to succeed by using volumes of sales reps, competing with other, to overwhelm respiratory practices.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Its not the GSK strategy. Its the industry's strategy. It started in the late 90s with Pfizer, I think. Then Merck and Novartis followed. Then..everybody "had to" do it, because the Big Boys were doing it. I remember when an Orthopod relative told me that he had 7 Pfizer and Pharmacia reps dropping Celebrex and Bextra off at his group practice. Seven. He only "knew" a couple of them, but his office manager pointed out that there were 7 hitting on her for appointments when she was scheduling lunches for the semester.

Since COX-2 wars were so hot in those days, do you think Merck was going to let Celebrex get away with that? So they started doubling down. We did the same thing in the late 90s, because Pfizer had so many Zoloft reps, and they had a head start.

The number of reps exploded in late 90s early 2000s, and some companies have pared down head count more than others. But soon, we aren't going to have a choice. Access is dropping, more and more generics are hitting the market, and those $%#@ CSO reps for hire are popping up everywhere.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It doesn't stop there. On the ViiiV contract thee is an awful culture to manage. The ViiV reps are obstructionist and totally act as if the have much to hide. While they whistle in the dark about how well they are doing, it is clear that the various TAF alternatives are eating ViiV's lunch. Maybe if there was some real team effort something could be accomplished.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Very well said! You are spot on.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Inventiv reps will have a lot more choices when generic Advair gets rolling

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m in the consumer health side of GSK with a manager who privately bullies, abuses, harass me and threatens me at every call.
    Everything that has been happening, I’ve recorded and a huge investigation is under way.
    Regardless of what happenes, I don’t even care I just want to make sure this is seen and heard by the CEO so she can at least see the culture and climate that exists with these power tripping managers.

Inventiv and or Syneos are great contract companies and a great start for any new rep.
    GSK is fine, it’s the trolls that work within it that suck balls.