FreeStyle Libre

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Oct 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. We need this last week. Lots of fun.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree with this. ADC will try to create a diabetes watch on its own rather than give up some control and partner with other manufactures. An ADC watch will be clumsy to use, over priced, fugly to look at, and too late to the market. Same for any of the new technology out there. Libre is perfect for ADC: an over priced system that is will be outdated by the time its ready to launch. If they tried, can you picture Duncan & Company having a meeting with the young, successful Silicone Valley types? The narcissistic dinosaur and the young Bill Gates types. "Hey is that your dad?"

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually Libre may have a good run because it is a cheap (for CGM) useful system. But, to the best of my knowledge, ADC does not really have a follow up because they had nobody to do the work and no money to spend on advanced development. So ABT will push it for a few years until better products by competitors hit the market. End of story.

Truth is I don't think MW cares otherwise he would allow ADC to invest in other technologies.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ADC may be cheap compared to Navigator, but BGM still far more cost effective. Given the state of heath care these days, and based on preliminary discussions, Libre has not been accepted to sufficient scale to launch; it's a loosing proposition unless it is approved for all Type I's and a large % of Type II's. I don't see Libre moving beyond the test phase it is in now, where the company can product in small quantities and loose an acceptable amount in the process.

You hit the nail on the head on what's next. That's a big goose egg.

You are also correct in that MW and Corp are long done with ADC, and have not invested here for a half dozen years or so now. Just enough to keep a pulse. That's what they need to do to find buyer.

The real innovation, and more important, where the money is, is well outside ADC's scope of business and experience. Trying to play where this is going is pure folly for Abbott. I believe MW is well aware of that. I know Duncan is.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As earlier posters have pointed out, Libre does not have plan approval in any market.

However, stop and think. What would happen if they did by some miracle get such an approval?

It is the last thing MW wants. The development lashup that currently builds the sensors could not possibly cope. Back orders would stretch back for months and this would force Abbott's hand to invest in a volume line.

Of course, the quality problems would be just as bad, probably worse. All the production engineering expertise walked out the door years ago. By the time the problems were sorted, Libre would be out of date and Abbott would have a $100 million cost with nothing to show for it.

Far easier to show a low volume trial. Keeps buyers interested without costing too much. MW is actually a very smart operator and things are going exactly as he planned.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is true: ABT does not want to invest in any ADC infrastructure. That's what makes Nacho Libre such a safe bet.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ADC has one low volume line for Libre and has one high volume line running with money for more. You guys know nothing. ADC is betting the farm on this product.....all it has.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone on here work for Vascular? Particularly in Temecula or Clonmel. I am trying to remember what company makes the eLHR software. Is that system still in place?

My current company is going to Camstar buy it seem cumbersome when compared to eLHR system I remember from Abbott.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a profound article.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This sums is up" "The key word, he said, is “non-invasive”...". Nacho IS invasive. And cumbersome to put in. And prone to user error. Lastly, and most important, WAY overpriced.

AND there is nothing in ADC's pipeline, and zero R&D. The big goose egg.

ADC is so far out of this it would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic. BTW, this is the exact reason all the other traditional pharma companies, including ABT, are out or getting out.

The companies actively working on this technology are big, serious, REAL innovators, and investing more than ADC could imagine in its wildest wet dream. They are collaborations of electronics and communications companies outside Pharma, plus some very unique and innovative small pharma and leading universities. They are very far along. None of them would even return a call from ABT, who they see as dinosaurs.

This is the revolution. Libra is outdated and outclassed.

Lights out.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spoken like a true idiot sales noog! Nobody tells the sales noogs shit about things in pipelines because you can never keep your mouths shut. But thanks the laughs, always fun to come here to read the drivel and refresh my contemp for the noogs, makes me feel good about my choices in life.

Ta ta!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Libre is doing well and is a good product. Trail blazer, shows what can be done. It's not outdated yet because there are no products on the market that are similar.

But the rest of what you said is very true. This will be ADC's one hit wonder because they simply do not have the mojo (or money) to follow through and do the next step. I figure ABT will have a year or two, maybe three with this product but soon the real innovators will put forth what they have and Libre will die. Not much you can do with an R&D budget of a few bucks and a handful of engineers.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes you are so right! The empty labs and closed off spaces, zero'd out budget lines, and layoffs are all a ruse! Like Area 51, just a big slight of hand to hide the REAL hidden R&D from the morons in Alameda and Clownmel".

Meanwhile, in a massive secret underground lair, Abbott has been investing billions in new uber high tech secret weapons! All black funded, approved by Miles himself. Read it and weep, doubters and negative Nancy's!

ADC PROUD!!!!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL! Dunky is Dr. Evil, and Karl is Mini Me.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

From today's Q2 call:

"Consumer response to our new FreeStyle Libre device continues to be very positive in Europe and we're expanding capacity to meet this demand. We also made progress during the quarter to bring the Libre sensor-based technology to the US with the regulatory submission for approval of Libre Pro, our professional use device."

Doing well in Europe. How long for the FDA to say yes? My question is if ADC's revenue jumped 5.2% how much was attributed to Libre sales? If it was all Libre that would be about $52M for Q2. If you run the numbers this implies about 125K users in the Euro zone.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Translation: "We've been able to give away Libra at ridiculously low prices in Europe, and have been able to manipulate a little buzz on blogs via a furious (and damn costly!!!) effort by a hired social media company, posing as patients. However, we have not been able to keep the real patients from talking about the mis reads and other QC issues. Those pesky little dweebs have forced us, on short notice and therefor at very high costs, to go buy more implants, completely blowing the budget. WTF! We decided to test this dog on the Euro-weenies because they are some compliant, willing to stand in lines and accept shoddy health care without question! They're lemmings ... sheep... used to getting pushed around!!!

In the USA, the FDA continues to ask tough questions, and for and ever growing lists of clarifications and explanations regarding the problems in Europe. Dammit! What the f do they want from us?!? The damn truth?!? Ha! How stupid do they think we are!! Hopefully we can sell this pig before the whole house of cards falls down"

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Jeez man get a life. Did mommy or daddy beat you when you were little?