Explain why Rotoprone sucks

Discussion in 'KCI' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2007 at 8:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I servived legionnaires disease cause of the bed!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I survived hemorhoids

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My 22 year old cousin suffered a broken neck in a car accident 7 days ago, and developed pneumonia last night. She was put into one of these beds today, and already her 101 degree has dropped and the amount of air being given to her through a ventilator has been reduced from 100 to 60. Just as a lot of us were beginning to feel hopeless, this bed gave us a reason to hope. After reading the posts at the beginning of this thread, I am assuming that the bed has improved since those posts in 2007, and am hoping for a recovery for her.

4. With my daughter"s blood pressure at 40 over 50 and one and a half collapsed lungs she was a canidate for a heart lung bypass machine plan "C", after counseling with doctors in Ypsilanti, Mi. and Columbus Childrens, and the risk of transport. Her doctors at Miami Valley tried plan "B" which was proning.You Guys want to complain about labor intensive, try doing it manually, without the help of the Rotoprone bed !!! Because of her leg being in traction from a broken femur . Let me briefly Explain manual proning, it took a team of 5 to 7 nurses and doctors a half an hour to flip her manually with all of her I.V."s , monitor wires , repirator aparatus, leg in traction, ever 2 hours on her stomach and every 4 hours on her back for a week !!!!!!! The results her blood pressure instantly improved after the first round of proning, she was taken out of her induced comma, had her femur and shattered elbow fixed, taken off the respirator in 10 days, out of I.C.U. in13 days ,and after pyshical therapy, she came home after 23 daysin the hospital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She returned to school 6 months later her sophmore year!!!!!!!!!!!!!She graduated and is now attending college!!!!!!!!!!!She is a living miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I Thank GOD she didn"t have you lazy guys taking care of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Glad to hear about the positive outcome.

Smart service reps love the Roto-prone. Try shipping that via UPS.

Be careful on that bike.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dear Bike Wreck Dad,
    PLEASE BELIEVE that there are wonderful KCI Reps and nurses out here in the field that do not think, act or behave like the crackpots on this site. I have seen many a critical patient turn around after being put into the Rotoprone. The biggest problem with the bed is that the majority of clinicians wait far to long to put it to use. They will tell you "that the studies down show a decrease in mortality" Well, maybe if it was utilized proactively instead of a last ditch effort ??? And the "morbidity" they do not seem to care as much about, as long as they get them out of the ICU alive, they do not seem to care if the patients are short a few brain cells or not due to the hypoxemia.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry the rotoprone is too labor intensive for us nurses. Especially when we have to triple up. Its not fair one person has to get so much labor. Maybe the family need to come in and help if they want these damn beds so bad. ARDS is God telling you something. hello

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are a nurse, first you should shut the fuck up; secondly quit your job; and third get a job you are capable of. You are despicable, and proning has a place in the treatment of ARDS and proning via rotoprone vs. manual proning is a million times easier.
    If you think using the Rotoprone is too labor intensive, it's because you are lazy and not willing to learn something new. FYI, I've seen plenty of capable ICU nurses unlike yourself manage their patients and this bed together without breaking a sweat. Maybe that's GOD telling you something.
    How dare you come on this site and tell people to give up. I've seen ARDS if treated in a timely manner, cured on many, many, many occasions. It is not uncommon and you are asking people to give their lives up because you are too fucking stupid and lazy to want to heal patients. Once again, if nursing is about you and not the patients, then you need to find another career.

I don't work for KCI anymore. I'm actually a nurse who has transitioned successfully to sales in the med. device industry. I've always wondered why people have stereotyped nurses as fat, stupid and lazy. I certainly don't know what your body type is like but you certainly fit the mold for two out of the three.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

cost is way too high, we've recently used them on a couple patients, both eventually CTB anyway, and we had to pay the company more for the use of the beds then medicare paid us for their entire stays. thus we got no payment to cover any of the other services, drugs or nurses time tending to these patients. and people wonder why healthcare is so outrageous. it is the cost of services to these outside vendors that prevent facilities from being able to maintain reasonable costs.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

KCI is no longer in the therapeutic bed therapy business.
    The division was sold off to another medical company last
    by The APAX Consortium, the EQUITY GROUP that purchased
    KCI in 2011.
    Any issues/complaints/compliments regarding the former beds
    provided by KCI need to be redirected.

My opinion about the above I will keep to myself. I do have an
    opinion about about ARDS however. First and foremost it is still
    recognized/acknowledged/diagnosed and treated FAR TOO LATE!!
    There is no good excuse for this and it's certainly not 100% of the
    time but maybe ZERO reimbursement will finally change that ?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Roto Prone saved my son's Life, You are in the wrong profession if your priority is wages you earn ....you should be more concerned about saving lives....or get another job.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We have to get PAID to save your son's life!

Talk to a doctor about wages fat head.

13. My sister contracted H1N1 a week and a half ago, double pneumonia, and all the rest. She also has Downs Syndrome. She "walked" into the ER with blood saturation levels around 35 (oxygen in her blood?, I'm not a Doctor), anyway, its a miracle she wasn't on the floor yet. This bed saved her life. She was just taken out of the bed yesterday. I don't doubt there are problems with this device, but we are obviously grateful for its existence.
    As for the nurses, I have been in hospitals with amazing staff and people who should probably be doing something else (Doctors and Nurses included). How is that any different than any other occupation? You have people who are going to complain no matter the circumstances and those who truly do it out of love. As long as each of the people above continue to take care of their patients I don't mind a little attitude. We would all like to be paid more, no matter what we do. I'm sure a lot of patients in the hospital system can be rude and unthankful, but they aren't having their best day either.
    Thank you to those who cared for my sister through the holidays, including Christmas day!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

KCI is a great company, and yet the Rotoprone is supplied by KCI no more. It is now distributed by a company called ARJOHUNTLEIGH.

Happy to hear of positive outcome.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sorry but you must be mistaken. According to the FDA (in the U.S. the rotoprone doesn't have any pulmonary benefits and we can't say that this is true. I am sorry to inform you of this.

You are mistaken. Government is always right and they are protecting you.

You are confused.

It never happened.

Please listen to big brother.

I am so sorry for your loss.

The U.S. government would never mislead anyone.

My condolences.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am currently sitting in a hospital next to my Mom who is in a RotoProne bed. Overnight she suddenly developed respiratory issues after being in the ICU for several days. So far the oxygen concentration required to keep her at 100 spO2 has dropped and her lab measurements are improving.

As someone who works in field service (not for medical equipment) I absolutely understand criticism or a product or manufacturer (especially the support provided by that manufacturer) ; however, I am absolutely disgusted by the unprofessional, flippant comments made by many anonymous commenters on the first page of this thread. Maybe you should consider that worried family members can stumble upon this conversation and your immature, unprofessional ANONYMOUS comments do nothing to bring attention to potential defects in this product.

As other people have already commented: this product can and does save lives. If you feel there are defects you should bring them to the attention of your hospital and the manufacturer in a professional manner. And if your complaint is that it's "worthless" simply because it requires some extra labor MAYBE YOU SHOULD FIND A NEW JOB. Saving lives takes hard work, is this news to anyone?

I am very thankful that my mother is under the care of the nurses and doctors she has here, and not any of the childish and unprofessional people who made the comments before.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually the prone position alone removes pressure the heart places on the lungs so yes this device absolutely has pulmonary benefits. Not sure what the point of your bizarre comments about "trusting the government" have to do with anything here.

Maybe you should take a refresher course on human physiology before you spout off ignorant comments and conspiracy theories.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

An update to my previous comment from yesterday. In a single day using the RotaProne my mother has gone from at the precipice of complete respiratory failure and death to being able to again tolerate being on her back. When the RotaProne therapy was started she was unable to maintain >85% spO2 with 100% O2 on the ventilator. 12 hours into the therapy they had been able to reduce the O2 to 70% with 100% spO2, but still unable to tolerate being placed on her back longer than 30 minutes. Now this morning, 24 hours after this important therapy began, her O2 supply is at 60%/100% spO2 AND SHE HAS BEEN RESTING ON HER BACK FOR 4 HOURS.

Yes this is a sample size of one but it is crystal clear to me that without this bed my mother would be dead--two days before mothers day. The duty ICU doctor and both nurses who have attended during this therapy agree. She certainly remains in very grave condition but I would like to repeat for emphasis: without this bed my mother would not be alive today. Period.

Fast intervention and expertise has made all of the difference in this situation. Those of you making disgusting, ignorant comments should take note; maybe instead of spending your free time trying to win the "most acerbic, bitter pseudo professional medical officer on the internet" award and maybe brush up on new advances in medical technology and procedures. If your hospital or manufacturers representative is not providing proper training or whatever the problem is that has made you view this technology as "worthless" please address it through the proper channels rather than improperly disparaging a technology which when implemented quickly and appropriately can result in amazing outcomes.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

See this is a totally valid complaint. I work fixing lab equipment used in all sorts of high pressure environments (for example diagnosing seizures of unknown cause in newborn babies.) You are absolutely right that jobs like this require SIGNIFICANT time away from home and family, and usually do not provide appropriate compensation for this sacrifice. I commend, thank, and have incredible empathy for the efforts you have made for your patients and customers.

Further, when I looked at this bed I thought to myself "I am SO glad I don't work on a piece of equipment like this." when technology hiccups while I'm doing a repair or teaching a user I simply feel embarrassed, not that I am now to some degree personally responsible for a permanent injury or death.

When there are problems or deficiencies with a piece of technology the hospital, manufacturer, and regulatory agency need to be made aware. I hope those of you who have experienced software or hardware defects have reported them properly. I hope if any KCl management is reading this thread they revisit the way the number of hours their reps spend in the field and the way they are compensated for their life saving expertise.

Thank you to everyone out there who works so hard to do such an important job. I owe you more than I can express in words.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The reason why doctors and clinicians are using this forum to report adverse events and probably still are having to do so is because Rotoprone was not even FDA approved for ARDS. It's a shit bed with no scientific basis for its claims and it will not give a better out come for ARDS patients. Because the marketing and rollout of this torture chamber are as shitty as the bed itself, these beds are sold/ whipped and shipped to anyone who will lie for the integrity of it. Unfortunately for those people who got "closed" on the device and the company who didn't cover their ass and make sure people were trained to use, of a patient has a contraindication they will die, and there are more contraindications than anyone has a clue of. Sick. Sick