Explain why Rotoprone sucks

Discussion in 'KCI' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2007 at 8:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was in a motorcycle accident and I aspirated on the scene causing instant pneumonia, my lungs developed tears in them from too many years of smoking although I quit a year earlier. I was dieing when put into the Rotoprone bed, and since have made a full recovery. THAT BED SAVED MY LIFE!!!!
    I bet if some of you that think it sucks...needed it to save YOUR life you Wouldn’t be so selfish. what is a human life worth? its priceless

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My son is in a UPMC hospital as I type this. That's in Pittsburgh. He's in the ICU in a Rotoprone bed and has been since yesterday. I saw at least 4-6 other units, mostly occupied so what you heard is not accurate.

By the way, my son has pneumonia brought about by H1N1 and is already showing improvement. Apparently the beds are being used extensively in such cases with great success. The nursing staff seems well versed in using the bed. None of them seems unhappy to be working with it. I got the idea that one of the younger nurses had had recent training with the bed but we haven't seen any reps, just nurses, respiratory Docs, ICU Doc, etc.

Maybe the difference is that UPMC is a network of university hospitals?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The rotoprone bed saved my son's life. He was in critical condition after being in an accident which caused severe injuries to his lungs. After 2 weeks of being on a respirator and failing worse every day he was put into a rotoprone bed as a last resort to save his life.
    after being in the bed for one week he had improved to the point that he started breathing on his own with little help from the respirator and all his numbers improved drastically. Within 2 weeks he was completely off the oxygen and breathing on his own. The doctors had told us previously that he would inevitably be on some type of oxygen therapy for the rest of his life. Now he is home and thanks to the rotoprone bed he is breathing, exercising and recovering in all ways. The doctors and nurses all said he was their miracle patient. I say the miracle was the rotoprone bed. The hospital could not afford to buy a rotoprone bed so they rented one for him. It saved his life. For that I am forever grateful.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work for the company that makes the Rotoprone and I do have to say that I find it very offensive that any of you are putting this bed down. It is a life saving device and who can put a price on saving someone's life. The bed isnt labor intensive. A person can be put on this bed and be ready for the therapy in about 30-60 minutes. I feel disgusted that there is someone out there in the world that is so negative that they are writing about how this bed should be stopped. What has this world come to!!!!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work for KCI and that is completely false. KCI has many of the Rotoprone's in the rental fleet. Yes they will be available when they are needed.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK first of all, I work for KCI in the repair/service dept. You are very misinformed. The R&D dept has put in many hours to make this bed as safe as possible for patients. Second, the service dept doesnt get tired of the 8 hours(which is a false time line, it is about 3 hours) that it takes to get the bed ready for the patient to use. Service dept takes pride in the work that each individual performs. The critical products, such as the Rotoprone, are the first and foremost concern of the service dept. This bed makes the difference whether a person lives or dies. The bed is a very complicated bed to repair but that is why the very best of training is provided to the repair technicians.
    I am not sure why alot of people are very negative about a product that does alot to save lives.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I too have had the privilege of seeing this bed save lives along with great medical and nursing care. As a KCI nurse please accept my heartfelt apologies for all the low rent comments on this board regarding this bed. Most of this garbage is posted by disgruntled, lazy KCI employees who would better serve the medical and patient community selling them cars or other items that may not require an ethical or emotional commitment.The majority of my colleagues are professional, ethical and do the right thing. This board is nothing but trash talk and makes the hard working dedicated employees of KCI look bad. I wish all the best to your son and your family.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You MUST be joking. While this bed has helped save lives, when it doesn't work correctly, it has killed people when it malfunctions. There are so many mechanical and software malfunctions that have occurred while critically ill patients were on the bed...so many PREDICTABLE malfunctions that necessitated a policy of 24 hour KCI oversight...this bed should be recalled and reported to FDA as a safety hazard. Is KCI not reporting recalls the way they should?

9. Herb Peer

Herb Peer Guest

What a lazy person you are. I hope you have left the medical profession. Without a doubt my wife of 42 years would be dead today without the Roto-Prone bed. You bet it's labor intensive. What would your family member's life be worth to you? I see you are "anonymous." I can understant why do want to remain that way.

10. Herb Peer

Herb Peer Guest

I spent weeks at my wife's bedside and watched her beginng to recover with the Roto-prone bed. I watched her 02 sat climb instantaneously when the bed started its work--and I DO MEAN INSTANTANEOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Herb Peer

Herb Peer Guest

Don't you get paid by the hour?
    This bed or some variation of it will be around long after you are gone; heck, you are probably already gone.

12. Herb Peer

Herb Peer Guest

Our bed worked flawlessly, and there was a toll-free 24 hour number posted in the room. The rep was by on a consistent basis. I repeat, my wife is alive today because of it.

13. Herb Peer

Herb Peer Guest

I think all of our testimonials speak for themselves. You started your thread over two years ago, and my wife's life was just spared by this bed. Your prediction that it would be out of service in a year was wrong, and it's obvious why.

14. Working RN

Working RN Guest

...and how is your son now?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am truly happy to hear all the positive outcomes this therpay has provided to grateful patients and their families from around the country. It is certainly touching.

RP is great because:
    Nothing beats a great outcome with this bed
    Grateful families and lives saved are well worth the time and effort we put in as reps
    Good price point for overall territory revenue

Not so great because:
    Individual RP payout/bonus considering the work involved (placements, inservices, on call etc) is WAY below industry standard. 4% on overage? that is shameful considering the time we spen away from OUR families supporting this therapy.

Most importantly are the techincal issues with this bed. As I said nothing is better than an excellent outcome, but nothing is worse than a RP problem occuring right when you are about to prone a patient after packing them etc. Having all those eyes on you while you try and get the thing to function properly, watching the patients monitor, seeing the O2 numbers drop while you fiddle with the thing. It is an awful feeling.

Too many times I catch myself thinking during a placement;

A. Please let this bed work properly and improve this patient's oxygenation
    B. I am not paid enough for this ****

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The price is more than comparable to other ARDS treatments, in fact it is one of the least expensive ways to treat it. If you say Hill Rom is a bunch of snake oil sales reps, you are probably a Sizewise rep that is nothing more than a snake that produces the oil Hill Rom sells; or one of the other mom and pop companies that offer low quality cheap imitation therapy surfaces.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I love you guys and gals that support the RotoProne-You saved my daughter's life.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Too funny!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Putting aside all the treads for the time being. Sir, I'm moved by your love and dedication to your wife. That shows real love, character, devotion and integrity. I hope she has come back to you 100%.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My son-in-law is fighting for his life this very minute using this bed. (H1N1-pneumonia)
    I pray to God it works. I don't know what can be done otherwise.

A young healthy father, otherwise.