Explain why Rotoprone sucks

Discussion in 'KCI' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2007 at 8:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Troll's Turd-Cutter

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In one of our 400 bed hospitals in Minnesota we lost our privilege to order the rotoprone bed even if the md wanted it. We were too labor intensive for the reps

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

...and I'm relatively sure that the above message has "nothing" to do with that perception.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The RotoProne is just as much of a failure as the DeltaTherm. Thank goodness KCI didn't market that DeltaTherm in the US, what a piece of crap! Thanks KCI UK...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe the single greatest challenge to effective implementation of the RotoProne is the level of internal support that the nurses receive from the respective hospital administrations.
    The initial learning curve is formidable on this therapy, but is certainly achievable with an adequately staffed Unit. In addition, programs are now in place at KCI (RotoProne University) that are designed to train staff and establish a level of competence in the application of this technology. The programs are offered both on and off site. The goal is to be able to achieve a Center Of Rotoprone Excellence (CORE) at each facility. Let's face it, the raison d'etre for the RP is how well it addresses the sickest quartile of hypoxic patients with favorable cost-to-outcomes ratios. Insofar as it falls short of this dynamic, it will kill itself. Time and studies will tell.
    Put the patient first, and everything else will follow.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OMG...how the hell did I end up HERE??? Just googled Rotoprone to read up a little more about it and ended up on this message board. I am shocked at the comments being made about this bed. I am an ICU nurse in NW Pennsylvania and just yesterday we put a lovely 24-year-old girl w/ pneumonia/ARDS/severe sepsis on one of these beds AS SHE WAS LITERALLY CODING...sats in the 60's, ph 6.8...this girl was DYING, nobody thought she would survive the move from her bed to the Rotoprone. Got her in the bed (yes it was a lot of work, yes it was challenging with multiple drips, lines, chest tube, vent,etc...but not one person whined or complained, this was to save a 24 year old girl's life) and proned her. I was her nurse for the evening shift last night and was literally sick to my stomach with worry the entire shift, she is that fragile, just prayed she would make it. She actually improved, sats took a while to improve but they did, and her abg improved as well. I was off today but called to check on her and she is still alive, stable but critical...I cannot emphasize what a miracle it is that she is even still alive. Let me stress that IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE ROTOPRONE BED SHE WOULD BE DEAD DEAD DEAD RIGHT NOW!!! I am not sure who the people are who are complaining about it, do you work in health care? Do you care whether this bed helps save people or not?

Yes it is a challenge to care for someone on this bed, after 10 hours of twisting and kneeling and bending and reaching...believe me, it is a workout...I am still sore! LOL! But would never think of complaining about it.

BTW...never saw a Rotoprone "Rep" in the room w/this patient...she was put on the bed about 2pm, I took her as a patient at 3:30, never saw a "Rep" at all...we nurses managed the bed all by ourselves...nobody sat there and babysat us. It's really not rocket science.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm happy to hear that this bed has been able to keep this patient alive....however, I'm distressed to hear that you had NO HELP FROM KCI...KCI gave up much of the active care they provided for this bed because there were so many problems with the software and too many KCI reps complaining about having to "babysit" the bed every time a patient was put on it.

The bed was a good idea but the design of the bed (R&D) couldn't get the software to work like it was meant to work correctly, meaning that there were so many software problems that the reps were basically baby sitting the beds in the middle of the night, and when the beds did fail, they were manually taking the patients out of the beds, stuck in the prone position, to save their lives in another way.

If you want to stay with KCI, you might be better off with the RotoRest. It's less complicated and doesn't have as many software defects (unreported FDA recalls).

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with what you are saying, but I am curious about the Deltatherm?

I haven't heard of that one. I know the RotoRest is called the RotoRest Delta. Is that what you're talking about or is that a European side product?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DeltaTherm is a european surface that is meant to cool the patient, especially after a cardiac arrest. It's got alot of quality issues and they've basically removed them from the field because of all the problems.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

<<<<<The bed was a good idea but the design of the bed (R&D) couldn't get the software to work like it was meant to work correctly, meaning that there were so many software problems that the reps were basically baby sitting the beds in the middle of the night, and when the beds did fail, they were manually taking the patients out of the beds, stuck in the prone position, to save their lives in another way.>>>>>

How is that possible? (BTW I am the OP)...If the patient is in the prone position and an emergency occurs (such as loss of power, software fails, or the patient codes)...from what I understand as long as the patient is secured from the top (all of the "doors are closed") then all you need to do is pull the CPR handle and flip the patient right over to the supine position. You do not need power or the software to be working to do this. So I am finding it hard to believe that a patient was "stuck in the prone position" due to "software failure". Can you help me understand?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the info.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, loose bolts can get stuck or something else that makes it impossible to extract the patient in the supine position, even with the CPR feature (this is a documented fact and a definite problem with the design of this bed). This has happened before and patients have died. There have been incidents where hospitals wouldn't use the beds because screws fell out of the beds before patients were even put in the beds.

These beds are impossible to disinfect and service in the local service centers, who are basically trying to put out an order as soon as possible (as if they work in a fast food restaurant). The service people were tired of the 8 hour servicing regime and basically skipped a lot of steps necessary to ensure the beds were safe before delivering to the next patient. Service personnel are too busy baby sitting all the problems with the VAC units and swapping them out because they either don't work or they smell bad.

This bed has save many lives, it's a shame that not enough thought was put into the design to make it reliable. Way to go KCI R&D!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This bed saved my grandfather's life so maybe you should stop talking ignorant, lazy dumbasses.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Even a broken clock is accurate twice a day.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How original.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I love it when I go into an account and hear they have a KCI contract haha. Its just a matter of time before we get the business. The Rotaprone has its issues but its a nitch and with the price it kills the hospitals budgets. I had one hospital payout 1.4mil a year in rotaprone rentals. I dont hate KCI though. I HATE Hill-Rom however those snake oil sales reps!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This bed that you people are trashing saved my sons life. He was in a nasty car accident. They gave him a 10% chance of making it. There was no sign of improvement until he was placed in the bed. Thank god for the Doctor that insisted on getting the bed despite how messy it gets and how some poor jerk, that hates his job, is going to have to clean and maintain it after its use. thank god the "corporate tools" don't listen to people like you or my son would be dead.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard that the Rotoprone was not in KCI's rental fleet anymore. Then I heard that there are only 4 in the Northeast. Are we going to be able to get them when we need them?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my wife has been in icu for 2 months and she is just now getting better if it wasnt for the rotoprone bed we would have 3 small children with out a mom i thank god for that bed every night

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest