Difference in pay between Stryker Divisions?

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hello, I have an opportunity to interview for a full-line position with SYK Instruments, but am a current ASR with SYK Endoscopy. I really enjoy the endo division due to the wide range of product offerings, but have been told many times that the Instruments division is the place to be. If i stay put in endo, I will eventually get my own territory, I know this much. My question is, Which divisions' reps get paid more on average? Basically, can I make more money working in Endo or Instruments, assuming a full line territory? Thanks to all that take the time to reply.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

come on answer this guys question, mine is the same...which division between the two is the place to be and which divisions' reps make the higher $$$ amount, on average?????????

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

either division sucks right now.
    no one is spending money....at least where im working.
    i 'knew' two great guys that worked for endo and they each last two years respectively.
    not a long term job for the majority.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Instruments definitely can be the place to be, but now that the company has split into several divisions it really depends upon which one you're refering to. Instruments is now split into "Surgical," "NSE (Neuro Spine ENT)," "Navigation," and "IVS".

Surgical is definitely the top of the heap... average territory is about $2,000,000 and average rep is making just under $200,000. Surgical has about a 60/40 split of disposables to capital, and the disposables carry a very strong market share. NSE is mostly capital equipment, drills mostly. They make a higher commission amount because their market share is smaller and their sales quotas are much smaller too. Navigation is strictly capital and is not a place I would want to be right now. NSE and Navigation typically cover a much larger geographical territory than Surgical. To be honest I dont really know anything about IVS, it has something to do with interventional pain products, but ive never met or seen the rep in my territory.

If the opp is in Surgical I would jump all over it... their products are very highly regarded and this division has some of the most tenured reps throughout stryker, its a great place to be at SYK

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like you're another fellow Surgical rep....we should talk. You hit the nail on the head. Navigation is definately a NO. Surgical and Endo are the top two. Endo has the chance to make some huge dollars, but they're usually like a roller coaster. Huge money one year with a big deal, then slow the next. Surgical is a little more stable. Surgical is by far the bread and butter of Stryker and the division everyone wants to get into. $2mill territory is on the smaller size but average for beginning reps. Either way, this year sucks as we all sell some capital we're all taking a hit and I'm making maybe 35% less this year so far.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how keen is stryker on transfering divisions, for example going from endo to the instruments side of things? i am actually an asr myself in the southeast and when the time comes, would like to see if I could get an interview with the instrument guys. your guys thoughts and recommendations?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depends on if the rep you work for, and your manager are actually decent people and if they are looking out for you and your future. If they're a douchebag, they won't help much because they don't want to deal with interviewing and training someone all over again. If they act like this or think they will, you need to get out anyways because you'll never move up anytime soon!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You and me both, brother... this is my first year w/ surgical and it's a tough year to come in with expectations of turning around a territory... capital is only being purchased for emergencies only, making it very tough. Fortunately we have our disposables carrying the load and paying the bills!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if I had a chance to go from the endo side over to instruments NSE, would the move be a good choice? I enjoy endo and the chance to make huge $$$, but NSE seems much more stable. your guys thought? what is the base/capital split in the NSE division?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh great.....I just applied for the product manager job for navigation......should i re-think my application?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't be mean, just looking for answers. I have 7 yrs sales experience, including pharma, specialty, biotech and hospital. I also 3 years experience working in hospital administration. Do I have the necessary experience to apply for a stryker surgical position, i have known folks that have gone from big pharma directly into strker...is that just luck? also, what are the hours like for surgical reps, do you deal mostly with elective cases? thanks ps. i'm female, haven't met a female stryker yet..so whats the deal on that front too?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its hard to say... so much depends upon how well you and the hiring manager get along and what he or she thinks of you as a candidate. There arent many females in surgical, i would say out of 180 reps there might be less than 20 females. I dont think that has as much to do with which gender is capable of being more successful as much as it just has to do with the overall culture of medical device/capital sales. My manager wont interview reps with pharma backgrounds but i know others dont have a problem with that, its all about the regional manager. good luck

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a female and worked for Stryker in a Surgical division. It was great until I actually gave an opinion or spoke out loud and then all hell broke loose with a bunch of insecure frat-boy managers trying to oust me (even though I was hitting my quotas) and replace me with another buddy of theirs.
    I loved my job because of the people I worked with (ie; hospital personnel & surgeons) but good luck with the politics & swinging d***s.
    Oh yeah & in the time I was there, the other three female reps in my division either left or got screwed. According to one of my surgeons, the managers then talked some major crap about one of them (who left to go to med school!) saying she didn't have what it took & she was just some Tits & Ass etc...
    Nice.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I spent 5 years working at Stryker. The culture is extremely sexist. It takes the
    "good old boys" network to a new level. What's funny is that upper managment has no problem voicing their opinions at meetings or one on one. I can't believe this hasn't come back to bite them in the ass more often.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow...sounds like my experience at Covidien......GOOD OL BOYS CLUB.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow, sounds like my experience at Integrated Medical Systems. GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB! I'm not kidding, they even chewed and spit tobacco during my job interview. Seriously!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What the starting salary for an Endo ASR?
    Would Stryker consider a recent college grad?
    The job seems to always be posted.
    Must be a lot of turnover.
    Would appreciate honest feedback.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any information on Total Comp in Navigation??

Thanks

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not what it once was as a company. "Welcome to McStryker boys n girls!" Capitated incomes, constantly decreASING COMMISSIONS And territories. Yes, Folks the old Styker Magic is GONE GONE GONE