Confidence in Merck

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Apr 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Question to colleagues. Are you confident in Merck to hold Merck stock?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sell every share you own at the opening bell on Monday.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a good dividend paying stock.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The company is solely focused on it's stock price, our leaders are only focused on the next quarters numbers, nothing more.

As long as their are people to cut to artificially prop up the price we will be good. Once the cash reserves start to be tapped and there are fewer cuts left to head fake the analysts, things might start to sour.

Sooner or later the absence of a pipeline and no real R+D will catch up with us.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This post accurately describes Merck. Once the "Gold Standard" in pharma (not unlike IBM in computer technology) has declined to a stagnant corporation devoid of growth and focused on operating in a defensive position. This is what happens when attorneys replace scientists. On the other hand, maybe it took attorneys to keep Merck afloat this long in the U.S. market.

Either way, the last line in the this attached post regarding pipeline is spot on. The clock is ticking. Merck is a shell of its former self. Any confidence it this stock is clearly short term with the exception of a game-changing merger/acquisition.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All too true. If you were an employee of Merck in the 90's, retired or soon to be you're probably set. If still at Merck for the "career" you missed your window. Merck is an investment shell now. Pays good dividends but a marginal flat stock price. Sell off in pieces or downsizings to continue to prop up the stock price. Scientific innovations are long gone. Once it's right sized will be attractive as an acquisition because it's so cash heavy. Then the fire sale will really begin. It's why Merck is so heavily populated by lawyers. Like pathology, the last to leave the carcass.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Merck is nothing but smoke and mirrors now. The above posts are correct and the stock is not a long term hold. The company cannot succeed with an overly conservative culture and employees who no longer care.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't believe it's possible to care less about this company than I do. I adopted that perspective when I learned how little they care about us.

FU, Merck.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you ever going to get a life loser ?
    Will you ever stop answering your own threads ?
    Do you realize nobody but RIFd slackers like you gives a Sh!t ?
    Find a job and a woman geek, or some friends you moron loser !

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like a nerve has been touched.

So put your money where your mouth is: Not counting stock awards/options, how much of your net worth is being held in MRK stock?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

whoah. someone here thinks the people that have survived repeated rifs are "special." keep it up with the stand up routine. anyone here who is left knows we are lucky and the people let go are likely equally good. then again, you are probably ironing out your bow tie for tomorrow because you think it makes you look more professional!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you Peter Kim.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

merger/acquisition would seal the coffin on this dying corporation - Merck as it exists today is 10% of what it once was; M&A would make that disappear overnight, along with most of your positions - how fast did Merck "disappear" S&P?? Happened in months.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are still with Merck, you're not "special". You're part of a "protected group" or your pay was on the low end of the spectrum.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Merck goes the way of Atari. One day, you wake up and the party is over, as the lightning you once captured in a bottle that propelled you into the stratosphere quickly dissipates into a distant memory. Remember, Atari was once king of the hill in the video game arena . They had the best programmers, a revolutionary gaming platform in the 2600 and almost all coin-op video games had Atari pasted on the side. They held 80% of the home video market back in the early 80s and looked to be unstoppable. Well, we all know how their ride ended. The lesson here is that a rudderless and severely dysfunctional management can sink even the mightiest of companies within a very short period of time (sound familiar?). Maybe Merck can use the same landfill in New Mexico, where Atari dumped thousands of game cartridges it couldn't sell, to dump the millions of Belsoroma and Zontivity bottles that, just like Atari's ET the video game, will come to symbolize not only epic failure but a fitting funeral for a company that has clearly lost its way

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great analogy. Speaking of video games, after observing BMS vs Merck in the oncology market....I keep ya inking of Mortal Kombat. Not much hope for our character. Just compare the stock tickers. Down goes Frazier.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Merck will never go away…they have so much cash (from their license to steal/crazy high margins) that they can just keep merging, and buying biotech's forever…

True, they should go away, and most businesses run this poorly do go away, but not 'ol Mother Merck unfortunately…She is the gift that keeps on giving…Like a cold sore or something.

FU MERCK!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The real cold sore will erupt July 1. Blisters, sores, bean cans and stale bread. Enjoy why you are still able.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, don't hold Merck stock.

If you believe even 1% of what you read on CP, you'd sell. The very fact that so many reps hate Merck can't be a positive indicator.

More importantly, if you work for Merck and also hold their stock (or options), you are very vulnerable to any downturn. You are concentrated instead of diversified.

Do you think Ken holds any extra money in Merck? No, he sells his options any chance he gets.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Me too, I sell my options. Cash is KING.