Attune Tibia issue

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by anonymous, Dec 12, 2015 at 1:43 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't worry.

With GF at the helm there should be no question that the company will have a brilliant response to this recent issue. Credo and fact based.

If we are really lucky he will consult with AE on this. AE did such an outstanding job when he was at DePuy we could not hope for more. I understand he is working his magic at ethicon now.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

thats a great solution. Hey doc, these are coming loose why don't you throw a stem on that.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Local Depuy rep is blaming cement technique on all of the tibial baseplate failures! Let's assume all of the surgeons have absolutely poor cementing technique, why would the Attunes be the only baseplates that are falling out?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

anoher great conversation to have with your surgeon. Doc its your fault it's your cement technique . Yes the one you have been using for 20 years and have never had any other issues.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Didn't they change the surface of the tibial stem and keel

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

2017 and 3 clean tibias have come out in 3 weeks in 1 smaller facility. Competing surgeon has had a few of ours as well. THIS IS NOT GOING AWAY. 2016 was not a bad dream, 2017 is becoming a nightmare. My biggest/longest using Surgeon told me he is switching, and that the hospital had asked him to stop using Attune. We have had discussions about it before but he was convinced by something the hospital showed him. Wouldn't say...

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hospital probably showed him all the denials that JnJ has made over the years, that have turned into major lawsuits. If there is a perception of a problem whether it's Attune or Persona, hospitals are going to back off. Seeing lots of docs going back to sigma and persona

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sigma and nexgen

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Trays are coming out all over the country. Not an isolated cement technique issue like we are supposed to say. Can't wait to hear from all of the other reps at upcoming meetings

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's true gentleman, I know you hate recalls but it's coming. The tibial baseplate is made differently, and is thicker 4mm verses 2.7mm, like triathlon. Triathlon doesn't have that issue. But attune does, thick stiff Tibial plates creating shear forces and loosening, from what the article says, virus medial knee failures. Search and read, it's done deal....

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's true gentleman, I know you hate recalls but it's coming. The tibial baseplate is made differently, and is thicker 4mm verses 2.7mm, like triathlon. Triathlon doesn't have that issue. But attune does, thick stiff Tibial plates creating shear forces and loosening, from what the article says, virus medial knee failures. Search and read, it's done deal....
    Stop trashing And read- Attune has issues proof is in the literature.
    JOA: tibial tray thickness significantly increases medical tibial bone reabsorption in cobalt chromium total knee arthoplasty implants.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Attune is harming patients! Need to do the right thing and pull it.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am a competitive rep. The Attune revision situation is an almost weekly event at my one of my hospitals. What gets me is that the DePuy reps blame it on cement technique. The surgeons still continue to put this thing in.
    1) the Attune tibias at this hospital that are being explanted are not being sent to FDA (Maude) and getting reported
    2) are the Depuy reps being instructed on how to respond to this crisis?
    3) This is worse (in my experience) than the ASR and Pinacle Cup hip debacle

OK DePuy reps, who wants to blow the whistle and become a multi-millionaire? Produce some emails.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

2/3 of the facilities I see do not allow reps to take implants. They get sent to the lab for gross identification then disposed of. The 3rd will but the surgeon must fill out proper paperwork and after a few weeks the hospital will mail it to the surgeons office. Lots of Depuy reps I know do not have access to Attune base plates that have been removed for same reasons. Who knows how many actually fill out the paperwork. We all know it's attune is a problem, those who have not addressed it with their surgeons obviously were not around for ASR or are desperate for every penny they get. One hint of failure and we now put things on hold. My surgeons told me they lost all trust in JnJ and to start looking for another company for them. If you don't have that talk you will lose your business.... Screw JnJ loyalty, time to look out for you and yours.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have been in multiple revision whether it be Attune , Pinnacle ,or ASR over the last bunch of years with Depuy reps. Ever single time they are asked by nurse if they want the implant they say no.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not being able to take the implants is BS. They legally must be sent back to the company for the FDA report.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can you imagine the chaos if the FDA recalls the Attune and Biomet can't supply the Vanguard (due to FDA BS)? I hope it happens because I love disasters.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

1. Persona is solid inventory. ZB will recover and run this show.
    2. The supply issue is a problem, but manageable.
    3. I know of 2 Attunes that came out this week. Base plates picked up with a 1/2 osteotome without effort. Fantastic. Never once had this issue with Sigma, as stated. 360 fixed the problem nicely.
    4. Good thing MBT Rev/Attune poly revision is around the corner. Not a coincidence at all.

20. Bean Spiller

Bean Spiller Guest

1 more clean Attune baseplate came out this AM! 1 tap with a bone tamp and it came out without hesitation. Good cement mantle on the tibia itself, a 2mm clean up cut and it was like a primary tibia resection ready for a implant. The sad part was the femur was well fixated and had to come off, creating the need for augments. It was a younger patient that is active and well known. I am sure this patient has an army of lawyers on payroll already, and you better believe they will be first in line to sue. I will definetly be following this one... Once an article comes out I will be sure to post it, the CP hippa patrol all over this one. JnJ must be watching this closely.