Attune Surgeons Prefer PFC Sigma

Discussion in 'DePuy Ortho' started by Anonymous, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:34 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Attune is not well received by the US surgeon community. Any thoughts as to where this went wrong?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

According to who or what information?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Surgeons in my area (all sigma switched to attune) have complained about lack of ROM.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CR or PS?

The Company line will probably be Tibial Slope in either case. We haven't had any complaints about ROM, but it makes sense given the increased conformity, especially if your surgeons are putting them in tight. Keep in mind, it is Stability in Motion, not Range.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So because the surgeons in your area are having ROM issues you take that to mean it isn't well received in the U.S.? A lot of the success of a product has to do with the rep properly educating the surgeons on it. Did you go over the differences between sigma and Attune? I.e. Take less distal femur on PS and add more slope for PS and CR? I have not had the same experience in my area because I did my job. The surgeons in my area have all switched and said their patients are doing great and they are very happy with the system.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Now there is a game-changing narrative....0-20 degrees ROM, yet as stable as a hinge!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the OP is on to something. Bailing on attune seems to be trending nationwide. If you can see the numbers you know what we are talking about.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Easy there super rep. I'm not the OP. I'm actually a competitive rep relaying what Depuy surgeons who tried it and went away from Depuy all together have said.

Btw, way to go "training" your surgeons on how to put in a modern knee. Did the Stryker and S&N reps give you some tips?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This thread is a joke. It's obviously competitive reps trolling. The last place a rep should get advice from is a smith and nephew rep or a Stryker rep.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The sad part is that when your Attune goes wrong, it ALL has to be pulled out cos there is no revision system for Attune or even Attune inserts for the Sigma tray.

There is an ortho surgeon in Denver who has a loose Attune tray in his own knee. Imagine how happy he is.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Almost every knee system launched started with just primary components and then expanded to revision components. There are triathlon trays that don't accept the TS inserts that are still being put in now. There are sigma trays that won't accept revision inserts probably being put in still. In theory the revision system will be available before any Attunes need to be revised. I'm sure there will be revisions before then that it would be nice to only change one component. That's just part of using a new knee system. If that's all the competition has to bash Attune with then you should be fine.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Depuy rep here, we revised 3 attunes allready and all I was told is surgeon wasn't gap balancing correctly. Blame the surgeon is the message I'm getting. Who else frustrated and switching back to old system.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How long have you been in this business??
    Any total knee put in "halfway" correctly will last 5-10 years. If it fails before that it's infected, installed poorly, or implanted in a patient who didn't bother to rehab

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think "halfway correctly" is directly related to "installed poorly".....and those don't last 5-10 years....jackass

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You never said why they were revised. We revise competive knees all the time within a year or two from the original surgery. They are typically infected or just need a Different thickness poly. This doesn't make them bad systems. We've revised knee systems in under 5 years that were loose. Most of these were poorly aligned, poor cement technique, or press fit that didn't have bone ingrowth. I don't think this makes them bad systems. There are always a few outliers that were put in great and still dont do well but the majority are for the reasons above. If you put any knee in properly you should get at least 10 years out of it.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gap balancing issues as stated many times. Even the reps are confused on how to deal with it. Look in the back of the technique at the cluster of information

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you have been in the business for more than 15min its not hard. If the surgeon has used other gap balancing systems its not hard. My hope would be that you didnt just show up the day of surgery and expect things to go smoothly

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's the engineers trying to explain it that's fucking everything up. Not the same as other systems as other systems are not having the problems being reported. If you knew what was going on you wouldn't be defending it so much.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seriously? Gap balancing issues is why you are saying surgeons are switching. No way this is true. Any decent rep would have gone over the jig with the surgeon or accommodated their technique. If they don't use the jig there are multiple ways to gap balance with the standard instruments. If they don't like that then you can get the old gap balancing instruments for attune. If they don't like that you can get new gap balancing instruments for attune. Between the gap balancing surgeons I work with, we are using 4 different techniques and they all are working. Gap balancing is not an implant issue and switching to sigma would not fix that. Good try though

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really?? You use 4 techniques for gap balancing. Someone thinks they are a surgeon. Thats some funny shit, usually out of a Stryker reps mouth.