Alan Steigrod, any chance he would...

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Nov 27, 2006 at 8:20 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Come back to us?

I beleive Alan Steigrod would be a good choice for the next CEO or head of USA Ops (at a minimum).

1) He really supported reps!

2) He was a sales/marketing guru taking Glaxo from $200M a year to over $2.5 Billion a year.

Steigrod would ask all kinds of questions (PC or not) and would love meeting with reps and he would really change things (in days not months). Someone with REAL vision and balls.

Frankly, we need that type thinking again! Yes or no?

For those that don't know him, here's a little more about him from Forbes...
    "From March 1981 until February 1991, Mr. Steigrod served as Executive Vice President of Marketing/Sales of Glaxo Inc."

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good choice, if he would come back!!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jim Butler would be a better choice. I believe Steigrod was a lawyer - bad choice.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why is having a JD a bad thing. He was a sales/marketing guru (regardless what his degree) and lets not forget it was he who hired Butler and Steigrod that took Glaxo from $200M a year to over $2.5 Billion a year.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Idiots, Zantac and a good sales force took the company up the ladder. Steigrod was a nobody- a backstabging fool, looking out for himself and his finances (as his name implies.)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can you give two examples why Steigrod was a fool?

He worked with reps, got great ideas, made things happen in days not months and wasn't affraid to roll the dice and ask non-PC type questions!!!

That's exactly what we need now not another stuffy Brit at the top.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Steigrod wasn't a lawyer. He was a sales and marketing guy. You are thinking of Tom D'Alanzo, who was President of US Pharmaceuticals, for a short time

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is correct.

And yes, Steigrod would be excellent, but I doubt he comes back as big-pharma rarely bring back a top guy (even if he's in the Rx Hall of Fame). The other problem is Alan would need to run everything or he would walk away. That's why he left in the first place.

STILL, it would be GREAT if he would come back, at any level.

For those that don't know Alan, he was like a hard charging bull and he could pick up on BS in a second flat. Some soft types did not like him, but that's because Alan could see right thru you. Alan would get 10-people together and a week later GREAT things would be happening!

A very special guy.

Bottom line...
    Nobody did more to put Glaxo commerical on the map in the USA than Steigrod.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Steigrod is a hook nose Jew bastard that encouraged off-label marketing and kickback activity - I was there-any further comments are pure Bullshit..Steigrod needs to get the fuck off this post..and all of his cohortsl- if thgis is not true sue me and track me down...how many of you knew this asshole personally ??? Dumb shits sticking up for a crooked manipulating asshole.
    The word is in to Michael Moore - what the fuck..I know this is a plant so I say - sue me assholes. ...and Steigrod I can kick your Hebe lying ass in a second so bring it on.

-Born again.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your right my mistake, I forgot about him. He would answer a question with a question.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Steigrod is a foul person--absolutely foul-- you have GOT to be kidding-- Who in their right mind would would have anything positive to say about this man? Pretending to care about reps - and caring about them -- 2 totally different things---well maybe he cares about thin reps.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good post! The sales numbers certainly support the statment.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Perhaps those that like working for a company that tripled its sales every two years for 9-years in a row!

Now, if you like 10% growth and a big flat kind of company, go ahead and suggest we get a "proper" old Brit to run USA sales and marketing.

Frankly, nobody has ever come close to Steigrod's 10-year track record. Something like $40-million to over $2.5-billion in less than 9 years? Yes some great reps, but Alan was the main driver and he was awesome at marketing tactics. Nobody since could break down the tactics and get it going like him.

Stout? Give me a break!

Just thinking Steigrod would come back is exciting. That's what we need.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It almost sounds like a joke, but its TRUE...
    while Steigrod ran Sales and Marketing,
    sales went up +45,000%.

FOURTY-FIVE THOUSAND PERCENT!!!!

It's a number than may never be beat (EVER)
    by any top-100 Rx company.

He's like the Babe Ruth of Rx Sales and Marketing.

NOW, if he ran GSK Sales and Marketing in 2007,
    I'm confident he would find a way to increase sales
    by a minimum of 15%-20% over what GSK would do
    without him. Bank it.

Today's reps would love him too!!!!
    He was a former rep from Philly, and
    was in a class by himself.

Steigrod's biggest problem
    now would be the HOME OFFICE staff.

Most in the home office don't want to
    go out and take risks and really make things
    happen. They want the safe road and don't
    care about getting the company an extra 20%
    in sales. The main goal is to collect an easy
    pay check and not make waves.

One of Steigrod's biggest push backs was
    on NOT hiring more home office staff. He had rules
    about taking that money and giving it to the
    field first. I think it was something like for every 50 reps
    you should only have 1 home office support
    person (somehting like that).

Home office types trying to build an empire
    would not like Stiegrod's "show me how this makes
    money" stance. But reps would love all the
    extras that we'd get thanks to Steigrod those
    "Steigrod Rules." He excelled seeing the BS
    and correcting it fast!

Anyway, is Steigrod really on campus?
    This would be HUGE!!!!!!!!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

AS as well as JB were great and worked for the salesforce. Things started to so down when RI brought in his Merck cronies, End of story!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, his numbers are even better than that.

When he took over as head of Sales and Marketing, Glaxo was doing $15 million a year in the US (1981). You believe it, only $15 million a year.

Alan's sale force was only 200 but with his tactics, he took on Schering (with 750 reps at the time) and crushed them. Next he took on SK and we all know what happened. You getting any of this Stout?

In ten years, Steigrod built a $2.6 Billion Dollar a Year Marketing Machine.

As the head of commercial, Stiegrod made Glaxo the fastest growing Rx company six years in a row based on sales dollars and New Rxs.

Alan called it winning on the street, the "street practice."

A really street-wise guy from Philadelphia, Alan was very practical and used his street smarts to put the RTP campus on the map.

My favorite Steigrod-ism was his strong belief in keeping the fat out and keeping it real. He would say something like...

"Always be cognizant that our success is due to our flexibility, our ability to move quickly and above all, always involve the individual (the reps)."

It worked beyond belief. Sadly, how things have changed in RTP.

Even more impressive, all this happened as Glaxo was a "new" company in the US and was taking on others with 10-20 years of experience in the docs office an in the hospital setting as well too.

If Alan had $500 million in venture capital, I'd be the first in line to work with him and if his product went against our current GSK slug, I don't have to tell you who would win.

FINAL THOUGHT:

I have note from Alan saying,

"As we get larger, we must guard against falling into the trap of the ultra structured, multi-layered company that takes away our entrepreneurial spirit."

I think he saw it all coming. Basically GSK is everything Alan did not want. I know I'm a lot less happy now.

Bottom line. Alan would never come back on a daily basis. He's made over $100 million in his long Rx career and he's retired.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

SORRY FOR THE TYPO, I wanted to say...

I have a note from Alan saying,

"As we get larger, we must guard against falling into the trap of the ultra structured, multi-layered company that takes away our entrepreneurial spirit."

I think he saw it all coming. Basically GSK is everything Alan did not want. I know I'm a lot less happy now.

Bottom line. Alan would never come back on a daily basis. He's made over $100 million in his long Rx career and he's retired.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I didn't see it at the time. But I sure do now.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This guy Seigrod sounds great.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So is he coming back or not? What's the deal.