Age discrimination lawsuits

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Dec 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just curious if anyone has had any success with age discrimination lawsuits against AZ? We all know it goes on, smartass remarks not needed.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Was let go from AZ when I was 50+; I contacted a lawyer however I live in a "right to work" state which means that I can leave or they can terminate at any time. The only way you can win an age discrim lawsuit if you can present clear evidence that you were targted b/c of your age (Ex, somebody who was in a meeting room when they were discussing terminating you and played the age card). Usually AZ starts the weed out process with things like PIP's, extra ride alongs, checking your time stamped calls/samples. I remb being in my 40's and going to BEM's or National Sales Mtgs and noticing that you could count the number of PSS's with gray hair with one hand. Most meetings looked like a sorority's 10 Anniv Reunion. AZ does not value experience anymore and they have the power to enforce it. Let's face it, the gig for everybody is up in 2 yrs when Nexium and Crestor go generic. Sales are down 20% this year alone due to loss of Seroquel IR. Throw in Nexium and Crestor with no pipeline...well you get the picture.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the advice, kind of what I expected. I'm over 50 also, BUT I had good reviews, was encouraged by my manager to take Vimovo overlay. Took it and did good. Of course we know the end with the January layoffs, but it doesn't end there. Found out later that younger butt kissers were allowed to jump from CNS to MC teams and I wasn't invited! They both were the CNS managers little darling, and I might add both had less seniority than I. I was not even contacted by the managers of either team. I have moved on now and I will go to my grave believing that it had nothing to do with my performance, just my age. I really don't think I can do anything about it, just will always feel like I got screwed. Thanks AZ.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone on this forum actually still work for AZ?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No dickweed we have all been fired and you are next.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So this is only a place for has been losers to bitch and moan?

Excuse me because I am new in this field.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, most people on CP are past employees of the companies they are posting on.

Current employees are working, have a life, and no time to post.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Current employees don't have time to post?? Then why did you?? Idiot.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm not a current employee. But I am looking at openings with several companies right now.

I just don't think many current employess from any of the pharma companies visit this site except maybe during layoffs when they are trying to get any info they can.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So you are looking for a job in pharma? Who gives a shit about what you think butthole! Wait wait the beeper is sounding flip those fries out now!!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pretty well hits the nail on the head.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmm. . . enjoy the job with the shortest duration that you'll ever have. Your timing sucks, son.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen. I work with an experienced rep who has 20+ years with company. This individual is incredibly conversational in front of her customers so much so that they are relaxed enough to be truthful and share their experiences. I've watched it, customers don't feel like they are getting the company line even though it is all about the messaging... it's amazing but that's experience! Unfortunately, she has chocked a few times on role plays at meetings ...everyone knows how it is and how unreal the situation is especially in front of the RSD. She is a solid resource whenever anyone in the district has a question - they go to her before they go to our manager. Pretty sure manager respects her experience but sense is also threatened a little by it. This rep is never is given the opportunities provided to the "younger" reps. I sense her frustrations at the mentality that prevails and the games that are played. You can make any comments you want about the "older" reps but they've made it through the years ... not sure you will be able to say the same.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are exactly right about DM's being threatened by senior reps. Every single senior rep that I know, TURNED DOWN a management role sometime in their careers and chose to stay a sales rep. I cannot understand for the life of me why they don't bring back retired reps in some part time role (if they wanted to that is) and utilize tall that experience! AZ has never been known to be smart when it comes to their employees!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No and Yes. No it is not true that every veteran rep at some point turned down a management role. Some maybe but far from all. Yes, many DMs are intimidated by senior reps but why? Maybe because many of the newer DMs came from non sales backgrounds and lack product knowledge, sales skills and overall market knowledge. It would be like taking a recent MBA grad and making them coach of the Lakers. Who wouldn't be intimidated by that?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe that generally AZ does not place value a lot of from the knowledge of senior reps. Management is more in tune with marketing. There is the belief that younger people have more energy and will not view previous challenges as obstacles. They bring a fresh perspective to territories. There is some belief that moving people within territories does this as well. Older people are more set in their ways and can be less coachable. Not saying I necessarily agree with these ideas, but I have been with AZ for many years and these are things I've heard.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We have plenty of old reps - Keith, Parker, Larry, Sarah, Jim, Henry K just to name a few

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You young schmucks and schmuckes' don't understand anything at all about pharma sales, and the prime reason that AZ is failing (beyond having nothing left to sell). It's all about relationships and reliability....some thing that you will not even be here long enough to develop. Today, you are just a face in the crowd, with nothing original or important to say. You will never even know what a real sales call entails. I doubt if your typical call even allows you to (ever) sit with a real doctor, at his (her) desk for more than it takes to sign for the samples. You are a fly on the wall, and probably no more remembered by your potential customer than that.
    I won't even bother to explain what pharma sales was before your time, and you wouldn't believe it anyways. We were good , some of us were great, and we made our legacy companies great. That is enough!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said. These young whippersnappers can't sell a fat kid a donut. Doctors don't know them and more importantly don't want to know them!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually Sarah never even sold girl Scout cookies.

She is from data research side. No conception of sales.

But a nice person. With a view that what she does know means something.
    Meh