Abbott Diabetes Care

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Anonymous, Dec 18, 2009 at 6:59 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. KellyWPA

KellyWPA Guest

I wasn’t going to post here again & only wanted to read messages to see if anything shows up about what is going on.

I have now been 8 weeks without my Navigator and getting more frustrated by the day. I have been having very bad lows because I get no warning when they happen. One night last week, I dropped below 20 - that is dangerously low. I am sitting on over $5k worth of sensors that are probably going to go in the dumpster. Even if a Navigator showed up today, I have more sensors than I can use before they expire.

Last week, I sent a letter to my insurance company asking them to get their money back from Abbott so I can get a different CGMS. My insurance company is Highmark Blue Shield, one of the largest insurers in the state of PA. This morning, I filed a complaint with the state Attorney General’s office asking for money back. Someone here posted a reporters name in one of the other threads - Duff Wilson at the New York Times. I contacted him. I am going to spend the rest of the week contacting every major newspaper and TV station in this country to let them know what Abbott is doing. I will also follow the physician in #56’s advice and file a complaint with the FDA.

For you sales guys, I know what is happening to us is not your fault, but Abbott is losing a lot of customers by what they are doing. I hope you are all looking for another job. Joslin Diabetes centers up in NY & NJ already refuse to write a script for the Navigator. I am sure as more doctors find out about what is going on, they will follow suit. Between message boards and emails, customers are able to talk to each other and band together to try to put a stop to this. As much as I would hope someone from higher up at Abbott is paying attention but I sincerely doubt it - they could care less that they are killing people because of what they are doing.

2. KellyWPA

KellyWPA Guest

I wasn’t going to post here again & only wanted to read messages to see if anything shows up about what is going on.

I have now been 8 weeks without my Navigator and getting more frustrated by the day. I have been having very bad lows because I get no warning when they happen. One night last week, I dropped below 20 - that is dangerously low. I am sitting on over $5k worth of sensors that are probably going to go in the dumpster. Even if a Navigator showed up today, I have more sensors than I can use before they expire.

Last week, I sent a letter to my insurance company asking them to get their money back from Abbott so I can get a different CGMS. My insurance company is Highmark Blue Shield, one of the largest insurers in the state of PA. This morning, I filed a complaint with the state Attorney General’s office asking for money back. Someone here posted a reporters name in one of the other threads - Duff Wilson at the New York Times. I contacted him. I am going to spend the rest of the week contacting every major newspaper and TV station in this country to let them know what Abbott is doing. I will also follow the physician in #56’s advice and file a complaint with the FDA.

For you sales guys, I know what is happening to us is not your fault, but Abbott is losing a lot of customers by what they are doing. I hope you are all looking for another job. Joslin Diabetes centers up in NY & NJ already refuse to write a script for the Navigator. I am sure as more doctors find out about what is going on, they will follow suit. Between message boards and emails, customers are able to talk to each other and band together to try to put a stop to this. As much as I would hope someone from higher up at Abbott is paying attention but I sincerely doubt it - they could care less that they are killing people because of what they are doing.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kelly,

What are you doing with $5k worth of sensors? Before we had insurance coverage they cost $350 per box out of pocket. Each box lasts 1 month. The sensors also have an expiration date of approx 4-5 months after purchase depending on when you get them.

4. KellyWPA

KellyWPA Guest

The supply company billed my insurance $750 a box and that is what my insurance paid for them. I did not get any statement to know what things cost when I originally got the system in Nov because I had met my deductible. When the sensors came in Feb, I got a copy of that statement - my insurance paid the supply company $4,000 plus I owe the supply company $500. I had a little more than a box left over from Nov and they expire in April. The ones that came in Feb expire in June. I am getting 6 boxes at a time - the doctor & the supply company set that one up.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Because "Kelly" is full of shit. Kelly is a Roche rep. I call BS on this entire thread. Anyone can create a "real" username. I'm Fred by the way. I mean Charles, I mean Tom.

6. KellyWPA

KellyWPA Guest

Go to the ADA message boards, TuDiabetes and my blog at WordPress - I have the same user name on all the boards. You can search my history on the ADA site as I have been posting on that board for awhile. My posts are there from getting the Navigator in Nov and how much I loved it. I have been posting about being without it since Feb. Did I know last Nov Abbott was going to do this?

In case you didn’t know, people nickname their pumps & CGMS’. I nicknamed my Navigator Fred - now known as Dead Fred. That has been on my signature line at the ADA for months and there was discussion back in Nov that I named it Fred. You must have been reading my posts there!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you are in fact legit and not some goof sitting around posting crap, I have a solution for you....have your supply company ship (3) boxes at a time. Also, the sensors will work long after the expiration date.

8. KellyWPA

KellyWPA Guest

My insurance company sets the rules about when I am allowed to order sensors. Had Abbott honored the warranty that I have, I would have been able to use the sensors I have. I have been without the Navigator for 2 months now. That is a medical device and this is not some game to the people that are without one, contrary to what Abbott thinks. There is no reason I should have to use expired sensors nor will I. I want my money back from Abbott and I will fight to do that.

I am doing a trial of Dexcom and it is a much better CGMS and I would rather switch to that. At least they don’t leave their customers hanging for months without one.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Abbott is not committed to insulin users, pump technology, nor CGM. Rather, Abbott is only interested in selling the obsolete technology found in their Freestyle test strips and meters. Abbott has not supported pharmaeconomic clinical work to show the benefit (to payors) of frequent testing. As a result, you have been turned on to rather cool technology that TheraSense developed but that Abbott has no appetite nor talent to cultivate. Good luck to you, really recommend you work with Lifescan and Medtronic if you are on insulin and need support.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I applaud Kelly and I believe she is a customer and consumer of Abbott Diabetes. I can tell you with certainty that Abbott is trying their level best to sell this division and be out of this business. The problem is the clinical results because they companies looking at buying them are NOT just looking at $$ and cents, they are considering the clinical efficacy because they have not been in the market place before. The FDA is giving the insulin pump and CGM market place a lot more scrutiny because of complaints. Kelly, you shuold ask if you can testify to Congress because at some point it will get to that with these faulty pumps. And sales reps--cafe pharma isn't just for you. A lot of customers have heard about this site through the support groups for their diseases and many health care professionals briefly access the site just to see what the word is on the street about various companies and drugs.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Miles White is one of the best CEO's in the industry but has decided not to associate with ADC with a 10' pole. Since he does not have the time nor interest in fixing the business he should at least send one or two lieutenents from Abbott Park in for a 6 month assignment. They should just sit in meetings with Duncan Williams and compare him to other VP's at Abbott. They should sit in marketing meetings and observe and compare to other Abbott divisions. At that time, the Sr. leadership team would be summarily fired and the business would be sold at a severe discount . Yes, Medisense ruined the Therasense business, robbed the momentum, destroyed a winning culture, and have lied to Miles White to delay the inevitable. All of the quality Therasense leaders have left the company. Zac hasn't been around that long but how do you not fire Duncan Williams after 10 years of being a loser in this industry? Who does he have pictures of?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This board is filled with crap along with lots of laughs. People will do anything for a little attention. Why don`t someone start yet another abbott diabettes thread. We need a few more to repeat the same crap over and over again. Can you say OCD?????????

13. KellyWPA

KellyWPA Guest

Thank you. I don’t have a problem posting who I am so can see I really am a customer. Thanks for the suggestion about congress - my next step is to notify members of congress about what is going on.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well it will finally happen. ADC is shopping this division around and found a interested buyer. You ran this into the ground and now will soon work for Sanofi. This will be great for all you fantastic ADC reps because you think you are selling pharma anyways. We ex reps that moved on get a kick out of watching this ship sink with the best product on market.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kelly...how can someone spend all day everyday posting about the Abbott Navigator. Do you have a job? We currently use and love the device...we also have the Dex 7+ but prefer the Navigator because of range and accuracy. We have paid out of pocket for both (just received insurance approval for sensors) just in case for this very situation. The backlog is a pain but what did you do before the CGMS? Remember...these devices are approved for adjunctive therapy...

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Current customers will be jumping for joy also. Abbott s**ks! I hope Sanofi's first move will be to replace the entire ADC crew.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Abbott is a great company. Quit complaining,,, boo hoo hoo.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Abbott is not a great company, it is a phenomenal company. Abbott Diabetes Care is the embarrassment of the corporation. Abbott Corp is so great is has been able to carry a laggard like ADC around for way too long. Unloading this dog and dumping the leadership team with it will be like taking ankle weights off for Abbott. Watch Abbott stock take off now that it can grow other businesses without having the stellar results diluted by "the" loser division of Abbott - ADC.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What are you talking about? The deal was with Agamatrix.

AgaMatrix and sanofi-aventis Enter Global Diabetes Partnership

Salem, New Hampshire, March 31, 2010 – AgaMatrix, Inc. and sanofi-aventis (EURONEXT: SAN and NYSE: SNY) today announced that they have signed a long-term agreement for the development, supply and commercialization of blood glucose monitoring (BGM) solutions. Under the terms of the agreement, AgaMatrix and sanofi-aventis will co-develop innovative solutions in diabetes management that incorporate AgaMatrix’s WaveSense™ technology. Sanofi-aventis will commercialize through its Global Diabetes Division such integrated solutions for patients with diabetes, along with current sanofi-aventis insulins and delivery devices. Sanofi-aventis’ insulin and device portfolio include Lantus®, a basal insulin that is the number one insulin prescribed worldwide, and Apidra®, a leading fast-acting insulin, plus its easy-to-use delivery pens SoloSTAR® and ClikSTAR®.

Sanofi-aventis selected AgaMatrix as its global BGM partner based on AgaMatrix’s accurate and innovative products in the market. Accuracy is particularly important to patients in order to safely adjust their insulin dose.

“In building our Global Diabetes Division, our objectives included conducting an exhaustive search for potential partners that have excellent core science, are highly innovative, and have the potential to develop a broad range of products. With AgaMatrix, we’ve found a company that can meet all three objectives in the BGM category,” said Eric Petreto, Vice President of Device Strategy of the sanofi-aventis Global Diabetes Division.

AgaMatrix’s proprietary WaveSense technology personalizes each test to provide world class accuracy by employing a new detection method called dynamic electrochemistry to detect and correct for errors caused by differences in blood samples, manufacturing variations and environmental conditions. In addition, tests are fast, require very little blood, and do not require coding.

“Our unwavering message to patients, health care professionals and industry leaders has been that people with diabetes need more accurate BGMs and that our WaveSense technology delivers high accuracy, so naturally we are thrilled to find a partner that shares these beliefs,” said Sonny Vu and Sridhar Iyengar, Co-Founders of AgaMatrix. “With sanofi-aventis’ global presence and sterling reputation, we believe this partnership will enable us to finally fulfill our original vision of making high accuracy blood glucose testing easily available to patients worldwide.”

About AgaMatrix
    AgaMatrix is a private company based in Salem, New Hampshire, that invents, develops, manufactures, and markets a line of blood glucose meters, biosensors (strips), and diabetes management software. AgaMatrix’s products are designed to improve the quality of diabetes care by using the company’s proprietary WaveSense technology to personalize each test to provide world class accuracy. The technology employs a new detection method called dynamic electrochemistry to detect and correct for many errors caused by differences in blood samples and environmental conditions. Current AgaMatrix products include the WaveSense KeyNote™, Presto™, and WaveSense Jazz™ BGMs, and the WaveSense Diabetes Manager™ iPhone® App. AgaMatrix’s WaveSense line of meters and strips are covered by insurance and are available by mail order and at popular retail outlets. For more product information, go to: http://www.agamatrix.com .

About sanofi-aventis
    Sanofi-aventis is a leading global pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and distributes therapeutic solutions to improve the lives of everyone. Sanofi-aventis is listed in Paris (EURONEXT: SAN) and in New York (NYSE: SNY). More information can be found on http://www.sanofi-aventis.com .

© 2002-2010 AgaMatrix, Inc. AgaMatrix, WaveSense, KeyNote, Presto, WaveSense Jazz, WaveSense Diabetes Manager are trademarks of AgaMatrix, Inc. Sanofi-aventis, Lantus, Solo STAR, ClikSTAR, Apidra, and iPhone are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
    7500-05354 Rev A

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Word is Abbott has been looking to dump this Division for several years, and had interested parties, but wanted too much. Couldn't get anywhere near what they needed, given what they paid for Medisense and Therasense. And right now, no one would touch this pig with lipstick even at a below fire sale price.