A sobering truth about how much we make

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by Anonymous, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It makes me kinda depressed to think how much you guys think we make. I keep hearing comments on CP about we make so much for what we do, our paycheck is our golden handcuffs, we earn 100K per year which is a good income etc.

Now I am 28 years old, an d have been doing the AZ gig for 6 years now. I am a Hospital Rep and yes, do earn close to 110K per year. BUT, that is not a good income. The average home on the West Coast - LA or OC, runs 675K. A 110K income will not allow you to buy that unless you have another house with 200K equity that you can sell so you can get into it. Forget about SF where the average house runs close to 880K.

Honestly you need to earn 250K per year to play in these leagues. Sure, you can leave in nowhere TX or KS or Montana and get a 200K house. But is that a quality of life? Hmmm no way. So 100-150K per year is NOT that much. Get off your high horse.

I truly feel sorry for the fat slobs that are over 50 that think 100K is a good income. It is not!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I was at 120k base with a little bonus and benefits it was manageable and we saved every month. But by no means was it a great living. We were able to go out to dinner once a week and see a movie. We lived a very average life. Not one bit better than anyone else.

In comparison to some of my neighbors, I made less than than skilled " blue collar" jobs. My plumber and electrician make far more than I did and they wore boots to work and did not have to complete a daily dog and pony show. Go to work, go home. Done. No silly little DM dolt to entertain all day in the passenger seat.

Plus, people are thrilled to have hot / cold running water and safe home for their families.

I do not believe a physicians says " boy, I am glad that rep scheduled me in today".

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The value of compensation is dependent on a number of factors including geography, hours worked, skillset etc.. You can't compare this job with that of a pipe fitter / electrician because they actually work a full 8 or more hours and their skill is in much more demand. Be honest with yourself and ask how many hours did I actually work this month? Then divide your TOTAL compensation package by this amount. I think you'll find that you make more than a plumber or the average household living in Santa Barbara CA!!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The bottom line is that, while per hour we might make $300, we still take home, on average for a CL 3 Primary Care PSS between 100K to 120K tops per year. And that is not gonna buy a 4 bedroom house in Santa Barbara, CA anytime soon. Maybe a 1 bedroom condo in Santa Maria. Sobering reality but OP is spot on. 100K is not what it was in the 1990s.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You poor entitled SOB are you serious? You neglected to mention the car, gas, maintenance on the car, insurance, expense account, health benefits, 401K, retirement, free AZ drugs and so much more for what? You have the easiest job in the world. I know I did it for years and years. You are 28 years old and complaining what you have? Grow the fuck up! There are a whole lot of people in this country who would trade places with you right now. God you piss me off you asswipe.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True.

The guy came out of college and landed in clover. Since that time his bullsh1t has kept him in th egreen.

Wehn he gets whacked he'll be unprepared to survive - unless he's parked his cash elsewhere. Doubt it. He thinks 100 k is standard money. When it really is in the top 3 %

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I never said I felt entitled you shit for brains. I am just stating that 100-120K is NOT a great amount if money in this economy and if you want to live on either the right or left coast. Fucking douchebag!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We don't make that much compared to how much education we have. All of us have a minimum of a 4 year degree. I'd say at least 10-15% of us have graduate degrees. Do you realize that a union LA City garbage man, yes garbage man, earns a base of 90K per year? And he is probably just a HS graduate and picks up trash. What we do is much more complex and yet we only earn 10k to 30K more. Sad, very very sad.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh give me a break! So what if you have a college degree. The vast majority of pharma reps have college degrees from third tier schools. Yeah graduate degrees? Sure from fourth rate MBA programs. What would you rather do? Pick up garbage for a living or work part time at AZ. At least the garbage man does some good for society!!!!! You and I know nobody works 40 hours here. Most less than 30. You have good gig and I'm sure couldn't be a garbage man for more than three days. Your self-entitlement makes me sick.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your missing the point OP. You make more, PER HOUR, than any of the above mentioned jobs. It doesnt matter where in the world you live.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If that' s true then it's no wonder California is bankrupt!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it's not!

http://garbagemansalary.net/CA/Los-Angeles/salary/Garbage-Men-Salary
    "The average salary for Garbage Men in Los Angeles, California is $27,130. If you were to work as a Garbage Men in Los Angeles, California you could expect a starting salary of $22,342. You could expect to make a salary of around $31,918 after some time."

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Soooooo what? Big deal? Does making 300 per hour because you and I work 15 hours per week max still increase our Annual take home pay? No! So what is your point?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The average take home pay for a garbage man working for one of themany independent companies. I am talking about a city of LA, as in working for the city and unionized. The average base is 90K. Take a look at jobs section of cityofla.org

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ha! Dude the infamous 243 Guy makes over $1,000 per hour based on his genius schedule. That is assuming he is a CL 4 (based on his tenure) and making 140K per year. Fucking genius!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You little piece of shit. Your generation is why this country is F-up. You are not entitled to a 100K starting position. Start at the bottom (entry level position) and prove to your company you are worth it. If not go cry to mommy and daddy. GROW UP!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You bitter old man. You must be a Dumbocrat! I DID start at the bottom dick head. I was 22 when i started in Primary Care. By the time was 26 I became a Level 3. Last year I promoted to Hospital. I worked my way up and proved myself. Who the fuck are you to judge me? I am just stating the facts asshole!

If you wanna play this game how does it feel to be 42 and earn the same or, less than me? Asshole!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If Obongo gets another term then most of our salaries will go to support the 47% sucking of the gov't teet.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey dog balls, Get a reality check--you're overpaid!!!!!!!!!!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank God this pathetic human being lives in California. Those of us that live in the "flyover" states have a great life! I make 130K total comp and I live like a King!

You are the idiot by choosing to stay in Kalifornia! Enjoy your life, Komrade!