2 days/month mgr ride alongs

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by anonymous, Oct 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly. I have HCPs in my territory where I have good market share and solid relationships, but will never bring my manager. Why? Because I would like to keep my relationships and MS. These docs are super busy and don't have the time to waste on a manager dog and pony show. It's such a challenge to find 16 offices every month to bring my manager in to have a solid interaction. As a rep who has a manager who does the full two days every month, it's an intricate balancing act. I want to get a good field contact report, yet I don't want to hurt my business by wasting my customer's limited time.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who are you preaching TO?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Since when is posting or replying to a thread on CP preaching?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Since whenever this was posted just a couple before yours. Dolt.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Just ask your manager to take a full sales call one time on each visit and watch how fast the two day ride a longs get reduced in frequency. They go where life is easy just like we do. If you make it harder for them to coast along then they will go somewhere else.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"hey boss, show me what good looks like." I've only had 1 mgr out of 7 that knew their stuff and could actually have a conversation on topic. He is now retired.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That doesn't always work. One manager puts it in the FCR that the rep couldn't do the call and needed the mgr to do it or that the mgr had to take over the call to show the rep. I'm sure most mgrs wouldn't be so awful, but some will.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Glad to see you figured out how to correctly respond to a post.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Did you ever stop to think how messed up this two days a month with our managers really is? What other job in the company has someone continuously following them around for 8 hours straight for two consecutive days, every single month, hanging on their every word, critiquing them, and then writing up an evaluation? Thankfully my manager is male and can't come into the ladies room, which is my only break away from him.

I wonder if any other job in the company gets a written evaluation every month? We are already measured by our numbers.

Friends who are in field sales in other industries can't believe this.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We have a limited number of offices that will even welcome us with a manager and some weeks our DSM schedules 2 days each with 2 reps in same territory.

Offices literally ask why they see him so much and have turned down lunches if he's going to be there.

4 days in field x 4 weeks per month is really 16 days of sub-effective selling pops per territory.

I don't understand how SSLT doesn't see this.

Fire half the DMs. Hired an entry level admin that deals with forwarding emails, expenses etc and just keep DMs that really know how lead, analyze business and partner with their reps and customers.

Like any of that will happen.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amen to that.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Just remember, all the wishful thinking about cutting managers will also lead them to cutting most of you....

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I don't think one necessarily correlates to the other.
    There is just no need for an experienced rep to have a manager tagging along with this kind of frequency. It doesn't bring any impact and is detrimental to the business.
    I have wondered myself if the SLT has ever sat down and done the math to figure out that based approximately 8 or 9 reps per district, our managers are with us two days every month.
    It's way too much!

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are you people serious? Two days a month with your manager? Whoopdie do! Fake it! You know where to take them. It's a dog and pony show. Guess what? Your manager dislikes riding with you more than you with him or her. The manager is just doing what their boss is rating them on---giving them a metric. Reps lie to meet their metrics. So your manager works with you a couple hours and leaves early for a conference call. Yeah right! You work in an office you're with your boss all the time. 2 days a months? Ok that means you are free the rest of the time. STOP fretting over this!!! Take the manager on a milk run play the game get a good review. Simple as that. Rest of the month...do whatever you want. Remember we are pharma reps! We have the easiest gig in the world! My god you people think before complaining!

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You do bring up some excellent points. Two days with a boss is nothing. We should all put that in perspective. Years ago I had a DM he is retired now who would ask his reps to send him days in which they wanted to work with him. You would send in three choices and he tried to accomodate you. The system worked well. I didn't get my first choice every month but many times I did. Here is another suggestion. When you have an important lunch and you know you will see a lot of doctors ask your boss to work with you that day. That works too. If the office doesn't like the DM butting into the call be honest with your boss. I hope these two suggestions are helpful.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This whole thread has basically been about managers who spend two FULL days, 9 to 4, with their reps EVERY month. Consider yourself extremely fortunate that your manager is just spending a few hours with you and cutting out. In my district, we could only wish! It's not possible to fake 14 solid hours each and every month as you suggested.
    And no, in an office you are not with your boss "all the time," as you are on 2 full field ride days.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Do the managers fill out a FCR every time they are with you? That would seem excessive especially if they are mediocre at best.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

always

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

love the two FCR, we get a lot done plus he covers me with his dna spray

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

your manager must be the new oncology dude in Texas - wow, he is a real live wire and needs to be reeled back in.