Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics - Region North America re-org

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The rumour, that has been circulating for the last few weeks, that Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics (NVD) Region North America commercial organization will be relocated to East Hannover, NJ is now confirmed. This should be made official soon, as it is scheduled to be complete by the end of Q1. Only a few of the Cambridge team have and will be offered a chance to fill the positions there and Vas Narasimhan will not remain as the president. The new president, who will be located in East Hanover, is rumoured to be from Sanofi. This, together with combining finance into a shared services model with Novartis Alcon in Dallas, TX and the continual whittling down of Novartis Diagnostics head counts in Emeryville, CA, adds up to pieces of a larger strategic plan. At this rate, how long can the Field Sales force, which has undergone numerous leadership, organizational (3 new Head of Sales, 7 ED’s and 4 org structures that have now brought it back to where it was 3 years ago) and compensation changes as a result of never having had much of an impact in the vaccines market place last much longer without being eliminated and replaced with or at best, reduced and combined with the Novartis Pharma field sales force? And, on this trajectory, a failure to replace Andrin Oswald, after his inevitable departure due to his lack of success in his CEO role at NVD, will be just about all that is required to complete the roll-up of NVD. Are these moves the first real indication that the 5 plus year experiment of NVD as a standalone division of the larger Novartis Corporation has failed?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow thx

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wait a minute. Are you saying that Andrin is gone or going? Vas did not have the leadership skills required to lead the US venture in the first place.

Do you see the assets being sold to another vaccine company?

I am having a hard time believing any of this!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Vas' - everyone will have their own opinion but he should be judged fairly, as should we all, by results. It only mentions that he will not be NVD Pres after the move to NJ. The question is, if it is true that Novartis' long term plans are to roll up NVD into Pharma, how that will reflect on the assessment of his performance. And, where what does he do in his next role? If he stays in NVD / Novatis, will that new be perceived as a reward?

Re: Andrin - isn't he accountable for Vas' performance (good or bad)?

Selling assets - the post only mentions commercial org in the US and doesn't mention manufacturing. If the facts / events in this post turn out to be true, will affect that portion of the business?

Re the new Pres being from Sanofi - isn't that one of NVD's biggest competitors in the Flu market? What does that say about Novartis' commitments to the rest of their portfolio?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is there any more news on his today?

If they are looking at results, one has to admit that Menveo has been a disaster since it was launched and that Sanofi has won that battle. It might be smart to abandon vaccines outside of flu???

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If a move to Jersey means getting rid of some the incompitent a-holes in sales and marketing, then I say back up the moving trucks now. Don't wait until the end of Q1.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with the poster above. Who do you think is the worst I.e first to not be offered a position in EH?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The entire marketing department

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is there any truth to this or are these still just rumors? I see a lot of openings for VSS positions. Is this a division of the company worth going to or is it too risky???

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where there is smoke, there is fire. The rumor is Vas is staying in NVD, but in some Development role.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Risky... but not as risky as pharma

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rumors are flying!! Looks like we'll find out on Monday. If everything is true, many will be surprised. The experiment may be over.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not much mention was made of Dx re-org. With PM leaving as President, DP back to Sandoz and the CFO "retiring", mgmt team is significantly downsized. R&D budget for 2012 cut in half with layoff of 40FTE. With TO the inside MolDx person in management now, I see a possibility that Nohaile may have won the battle and convinced Basel that MDx and EMV Dx should be under one umbrella.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The reason why there are many VSS positions open is that there must be a lot of VSS turn-over / churn. So the risk in being a VSS may not be that the entire field sales force will be combined or replaced with Pharma's but that you will not make an impossible # and thus only year anyway!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If the next announcement is that the new pres will sit in NJ and that it will nit be Vas then the trend in the original post is confirmed. It will be denied or talked around as it happens but that is to be expected. What the trend means and where it will lead to is up to interpretation.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vas to Development? Looks like a latteral move - reward? Risk to Novartis? - you have to look at what he did as pres of Reg NA.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dx - wasn't that the former Chiron site that was the cash cow that funded all the TO aquisitions in Europe prior to the Novartis aquistion of Chiron that lead to NVD? Hasn't Dx failed to produce any significant marketable applications since the original HIV detecting monoclonal antibody diagnostic product. Doesn't that patent application run-out soon? That means the cash from the Cash cow stops? If all this is true, does the lay-offs at 40 heads stop there.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If I read this correctly then this is the same model that we see in play now with Reg NA (gradually folded into Pharma) and will be confirmed or not by the next announcement.

A few questions - where does that leave the field? especially with all the news about Pharma field sales? I think that it means (eventual) consolidation and much smaller numbers of sales heads in the combined org. Where does it leave Andrin? What does it do to TO? I think that it to, will be absorbed into the vast structure of Novartis TO as will Development and Research. This is the only way to (temporarily) hide (dilute) that NVD has huge costs in current Research and Clinical Trials with even more in costs in Development if the promised vaccine pipeline is to ever reach the market. This is the only play left for Novartis to preserve the potential left in NVD while it (NVD) fails to produce significant sales - if all significant revenues are in the future then save now, in order to invest in those areas that have a potential to generate those revenues in the future.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP sounds about right for a multiple reasons. Office space in Cambridge is sparse and expensive. Plenty of extra room in EH. I think NVS would like to simplify and take more control in NVD.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ask Merck Vaccines what happens when Pharma gets more involved in Vaccines....not good.