What are we supposed to do???

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Jul 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am in Oncology at Novartis and access in my territory is almost non existent without a lunch. Even then only about 1/2 my Tier 1s show up and only talk for 1-3 mins. Anybody else in Onc having these issues? With more consolidation I fear Novartis will lay us all off as what they are doing - using reps is not working! Plain and simple.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Welcome to pharmaceutical sales, we should of all been layed off years ago.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I actually felt the same way and will give my notice pretty soon after I pass my background check. I went into software sales and received an offer this week. I do not see how this pharma model can last. It's horrible. Over 70% of doctors DO NOT want to speak to reps in the manner pharma companies want us to speak to them.

Most information can be accessed online nowadays anyway. Access in Oncology is HORRIBLE. I went into a different industry, Enterprise Software Sales. Base salary is actually higher, as is bonus. I will lose company car and NVS stocks but so what? I am in a safer industry and will deal with customers who actually want to talk to me! Oh and the best part no lunches or snacks or non-sense like that.

There are great jobs out there in safer industries that pay more. You just have to rebrand yourself.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is crazy is how addicted we all are to this silly "job." We all worry about being laid off because we know how overpaid we all are. The OP is right about access, we are lucky to talk to a handful of customers a week for more than a few minutes. It's crazy we aren't running away for something we can be more proud of.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What area you supposed to do? Learn how to be a rep instead of a caterer. Reach out to the oldsters you bash who remember how to work without the crutch of lunches.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It isn't motivation that keeps Onc Reps from doing a full days work. There are only 2 or 3 MDs (Tier 2s at best) per territory that have or will make time outside of lunch. The story with RNs, Office Business Manager etc. isn't much better.

Having only one drug to promote, larger territories, more money for lunch hasn't made access easier or better. Increasing the number of Reps for "share of voice", laws governing what and how we promote products, how patients are prescribed meds. etc. shut down access.

As access dropped we added more Reps. Laws governing promotional aspects expanding the depth and breath of knowledge further restricted any usefulness Reps had. Becoming experts on reimbursement issues didn't translate to better MD access.

Reps want to spend their days productively - but it's simply not possible any more. We rarely hire lazy or keep incompetent Reps. It's been this way for years. Being extremely competent, sensitive to customers and patient needs, better at selling, increasing the depth and breath of knowledge, setting up speaker programs, understanding the business market better, etc. than the Reps of old does not change the customer's desire or need to have a Rep.

Even the home office recognizes better educated, well trained, Professionals doesn't change the equation. They don't need to pay the salaries they do...but they do.

So we hire more Reps, have fewer drugs to promote, increase/decrease territories, blah blah bla. And what happens? Nobody can effectively do their job. Too many succumb to the frustrations. They are not in control of the market. They quit, politic for promotions, get laid off in downsizing whatever...who cares?

It's hard to be content with catering a lunch once or twice a week or jumping in on partner's lunches. Once you get over that - it's an easy job. Few actual hours are spent for the pay. Call in favors, make busy work when Managers ride along, pretend. They understand, just don't complain or flaunt it.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is why the industry has been laying off 10% of us each year for the last 4 years with no end in site. There is no consequences for them. Since the cause and effect between the number of reps and the sales of our prude to is almost zero paying us is optional. And since we are costs we are being cut as quickly as they are comfortable with.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just got off of a ride along with my manger. I took him to the few docs left that will actually still see me. Afterwards he told me that the new access numbers are in and they are dismal.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Original post is true. The way I see it there are 3 options.... 1. Ride it out like a lot of us are doing. Luckily I have been around longer than I want to admit so maybe they will offer early retirement. 2. Just do what you can and quit complaining. 3 Get a new job and work for a living. If you do #3 don't complain if you have to work for a living now!