Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics - Region North America re-org

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know it goes back a few years, but you forgot Genzyme being bought by Sanofi 3 years ago. There were cuts, shared services (more cuts) and shifting employees from full-time to contractor roles and with those FSP's you mentioned. All the more people who are perpetually "looking". The current job market cannot satisfy the sheer amount of people looking and applying. I hope it gets better, but the employment golden days (1996-2009) for this field are done.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those who still remain are waiting - they want their outstanding shares of stock vested and then they're done. That's, of course, why not very many retention packages were set up. In many cases, they already got you. A few here and there have left - that's true. But most are still hanging around, sitting on projects or dumbass "workstreams" trying to solve yesterday's problems before the clock strikes midnight, or engaging in some other form of vaccine company make believe until they're told to carry their asses (which I, too, think will be no later than the end of the year). Those who have left had other and better options to make jumping off this disaster that much more appealing. Otherwise, it's simple - those who are still calling NVx home do so because that's the only home they've got at the moment. As others have stated, the numbers that GSK will retain will be small. In Cambridge in particular, the job search field will be crowded, highly competitive, and straight up ugly. If having a steady job for the foreseeable future is more valuable to you than a one-time cash out of some NVS stock, then work like mad and get the hell out now - beat the others to the punch. Stick around for the stock at your own peril. It will be taxed to s#it by the time it's all said and done, and you'll be longing for the steady paycheck shortly thereafter. You snooze, you lose.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's also tough for those of us with actual credible pharma experience to differentiate ourselves from the "Novartis Vaccine Heads of some very important shit" crowd who came in as interns or admins and now have been promoted to their current positions due to the "last man standing" principle. So ironically, not only has Novartis Vaccines stunk up the vaccines market in general with our amateurish and money losing strategies over the years we are stinking up the job market with these low talent amateurs we have promoted that were executing these market stinking actions.

All of this funded by the billions Novartis lost over the years.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am with you on your assessment, but in reality it does not make a difference whether you are competing against NVx interns-to heads or not. The job market has been flooded since late 2012 with individuals with tons of experience being laid off or shifted to contractor/FSP roles. People have either been recently laid off and had to take a lower position or are now working for an FSP placed at a pharma. Both situations, you are looking. The increased amount of people who are jobless and looking + the amount of people who have a paycheck but hate their situation (FSP or looming cuts or buyouts) and are looking, means a flooded job applicant market.

It does not matter what company you are coming from or your experience level. The years of cuts, outsourcing jobs to India and CROs have now finally taken their toll on Cambridge and RTP life sciences hubs. Keep looking and trying with applying. I hate to say it and I include myself with saying this, we're all a dime a dozen in the current job applicant landscape.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So I guess that it does't matter if you are a "Novartis Vaccine's Miracle" or someone who came in here with previous credible industry experience, your time in Vaccines was a Novartis funded safe haven while the industry overall experienced a big down turn.

Good luck to us all.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know the best executive recruitment firm? Some of us can't find jobs in our own network.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For you, NickJr.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Listen up morons you are now GSK's problem soooooooooooooo get rid of this stupid thread once & for all. No one gives a shit about your problems & that includes HS
    Buh Bye ...see Ya ....adios ....sayonara .....

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, this yells us the only thing viable in the Boston area is a small staff research lab where you need a master's from a top 15 school or a PhD. It is only like this because outsourcing of lab work is only in its infancy stages

Commercial, clinical development, operations, IT and business services are all being axed and are dying areas

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Obviously you don't have degree from the top 15 as what you are claiming here is consistent with what he claimed. But hey, not everyone is self aware enough to realize how really fucking stupid they are.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Obviously you cannot tell that poster you are defending is a snarky lab employee. I work amongst them. They laugh and say this kind of elitist garbage all the time.

Aside from that, Go Google "virtual biotech". Read up on it. The mass outsourcing will reach researchers next in about 3-5 years.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik&list=RD9u0EL_u4nvw&index=3

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, back off. Give us our 15 mins. We are finally number one at something. 350,000 views of us waving our genitals in public is nothing to sneeze at. And, my mom would proud of me as I am finally the Head of some very important shit.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

350,000 views and I am still waiting for my CP mug.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

makes you wonder...what actually goes on in pharma R&D?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-29/novartis-cancer-drugs-fight-deadly-ebola-virus-in-lab-researchers-find.html

Novartis Cancer Drugs Fight Deadly Ebola Virus in Lab, Researchers Find

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

80% of the products delivered by pharma R&D over the last 30 years have offered no value over those products already on the market. They were nothing but marketing techniques for US pharma companies to screw the US market. The entire process was simply an employment system for PhDs.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I completely agree and have seen and heard the same as of late.

One item to add, there has been a large uptick in foreign workers being imported in general to this area for pharma, further saturating the job market that you mention. Companies love visa-hires because they are 1. cheaper in salary 2. are the new indentured servants. They cannot leave or threaten to leave because the company holds their visa in the balance. 3. Are never a real up and coming threat to the established top brass at the top like an American could potentially be. 4. They improve diversity goals and numbers when bidding for NIH grants or government funded studies.

Currently, most come here on an L-1 Visa, and very few on H-1-B visa as they are capped across all industries with tech receiving the most. The cap on an H-1-B visa will be lifted soon and Pharma is drooling, absolutely drooling over that prospect. Fewer taxes (no SS employer match tax as one example) and hardly no hard benefits to be paid out in the case of an H-1-B as the program picks up the tab on most. THE BIG ONE is that they pay roughly 40-60% less in salary, at least. Watch this video of how law firms in a conference instruct companies to post fake job postings to show the government that cannot find a "qualified" American while applying for the visa applicant for the job(s) (H-1-B). It is a little old (2007) but it is still being done today and spreading beyond silicon valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TCbFEgFajGU