Embarrassed to work here

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A bit about me. I'm in my late 30s male and am working as a Specialty Rep at Novartis. Don't want to specify where but I will just say it's either Onc or MS.... Anywho I make a nice six figure salary and take abuse from docs who won't really see me or want to really talk to me as well as staff. Just like all of us. I went to a wedding and saw my friends from college... Attorneys, Finance Directors, Money Managers, even 1 Nephrologist ( I don't call on him). All very successful, all making well over 200k and more and all respected by their peers. I feel so inadequate because they all know what we really do in pharma and how much we really make. It isn't much if you are over the age of 30 and college educated.

Am I crazy to feel this way? They were nice to me and all but boy I could tell they felt sorry for me almost.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Over 30 and college educated you should be making more than 200K?

You truly are a member of the 1% entitlement class - where's MINE??

Grow up and do some charity work, then you can make them feel inadequate.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your humility should not come from what you make, but from what you do.

Pharma pays well, but its a total jerk-off job....and everyone knows it. There are no skills from it and deep down you recognize that because that it causing you to feel the way you do.

If you look at most the male sales reps in pharma, they are pansy momma boys who know how to fake laugh at bad jokes and agree with everything the doc says.

Grow some balls and turn your career into something.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmmm speak for yourself asswipe

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

#3 is the most spot on thread I have seen. Just look at the guys in pharma if they are over 30, and the (few) women too! I sure as hell don't plan on being here for an extended period of time

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP from post 3 here.

I do speak for myself, unlike you who lets the docs give you your opinion. I was in pharma for a while and experienced the industry go from a real job to a detail piece monkey. I got out and got into a job I can be very proud of making real good money and feeling good about my career. I am not measured by the # of calls I fake or other BS KPIs. My bonus is based of the operating income of the organization, a real, tangible measure that means something.

Sorry I struck a sore nerve with you Mr. "Hmmm speak for yourself asswipe", but when both of your testicles descend, its time to get a big boy job.

Lash back if you want, but everyone reading this knows the truth.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ouch....the truth must hurt. The little boy had to start name calling.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Number 3 is totally correct. I am mid 40's and getting out of pharma. I'm embarrassed to "carry the bag" in my 40's. When I started I made great money compared to friends just starting out in their careers. Pharma was a sought after career 15-20 years ago. Now few pharma companies are ranked in the top 100 companies to work. I and probably you got sucked into the 6 figure income, easy job, company car and before we knew it and realized it we had 15 years in pharma and a poor transferable skill set. Our college educated peers surpassed us and are satisfied. We have a good chance of being laid off and getting a job that makes $60,000 if lucky. So what do we do? Develop a new skill set quickly. Maybe start a small business that can eventually grow. What will over 95% of the people who read this do? NOTHING. They will hope they do not get laid off and if they do foolishly think that another company will pay them the same salary. Keep dreaming

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should feel sorry for them. Ask them how many of their kids games they missed because of their careers. Ask them how much BS they put up with from their boss. Ask them if they are enjoying the great weather outside...oh wait...they probably wouldn't know because they have to sit in an office for 10 hours per day.
    Don't just focus on the negative. Be proud of what you do and don't worry about what other people think of you because the fact is that they most likely aren't thinking about you at all.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Okay then tell us what you do... What industry are you in? And why are you still on CP???

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Many started small businesses 10 years ago and now have their own successful business with a good income and assets. They make their own schedules. The fact is pharma pays 6 figures but you swallow your pride being a rep

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I started a Pigmy adult film company. Make 300k annually.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At least you have an idea. 99% of reps have never thought to be business owners. Lemming mentality

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Haven't missed a sports event ever. Going to my child's event at one tomorrow. Former pharma..two years. Now I own the company so I do what I want. It was hard and took risk but better to take risk on your own than be a punk girl job wheelie boy waiting to get layed off.

BTW six figures isn't shit, that's what my wife makes part time so she can shop for clothes and buy shit to decorate our house.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And then you woke up....

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When a JOB becomes tiresome and you have no motivation then its time to move on. I worked in Biotech when all the upstart companies came about in the late 80's up to 2006.

This is where it PAID to be a rep on cutting edge technology for Hem/Onc. Companies were offering higher salaries back then and many stock options (yes we were able to cash in) when new approval of blockbuster drugs hit the market.

I made alot of $$ as I worked for 4 new started ups each one offering more $$ to those they wanted to cherry pick from the others.

This is when it was great to be a rep with unlimited budgets to entertain MD's and RN's, attend major conferences like ASH, ONS, ASCO etc and dine with your people at some of the finest restaurants in the USA.

Now u can even give them a pen! It has bee reduced to a DETAIL position with glossy useless marketing pieces and company BS canned presentations. No wonder everybody hates the job.

Soon ACA will become fully implemented and the DETAIL REP position with be a eliminated since its a no brainer for docs to use generics per the law.

Time too lokk at alternative career choices or be checking in at the unemployment office each month.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're right and I also experienced the good times. Everything in life runs its course. I'm not mad, it is just time to move on. Many of us over 40 have held out hope it would return to the time where we were proud to work in pharma. Those days are long gone

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I loved working at Novartis and was so proud of what I sold....I was devastated when I lost my job due to a reorg. If you don't like it, if you do not respect your products and the company, leave! Let someone who appreciates the job, the benefits, truly believes in and understands the product, and has integrity work in your space. So sad that you are there and do not appreciate your fortune.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I want the money and only the money. The company sucks and anyone I met in the last 2 years has no idea I work for Novartis. I'm Too embarrassed.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think people should never do a job they are embarrassed by or ashamed of. I think you should leave the industry and do something more worthy of your skills.

No one should feel sorry for someone who makes a very nice living (if you are in MS or Oncology and have been doing this for some time, your total package is close to $200K if
    Not more) that allows you to provide for yourself and your family.

Please ignore the ignoramuses posting here about how much better off they are having left pharma. While some may be getting paid working for themselves or in other industries, that vast majority of people who left or were laid off are at best in the same financial position as they were when in industry.