Any tips for getting scripts for Aptiom?

Discussion in 'Sunovion' started by Anonymous, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm running into walls trying to sell Aptiom - does anybody have any good tips on what works best?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes , look for an opportunity that does not have you selling against the numerous generics available for partial onset seizures and Vimpat. With generic choices such as Keppra and Trileptal available, there is little reason to consider Aptiom. Vimpat has real advantages, a 5 year head start and IV and oral solution formulations.

From a physicians point of view, the minor incremental possible increase in efficacy or decrease in efficacy with Aptiom pales in comparison to having to complete a prior auth., deal with the cost issue for a patient or fight with the pharmacy or managed care organization.

Aptiom would have been a viable drug in 1999 or 2000 when the second generation of seizure drugs such as Trileptal, Keppra, Topamax, Zonegran and others were approves. Generics were few and physicians saw a real advantage over the older class of drugs.

Each area does have a very few physicians who see value in Aptiom. They are mostly investigators or speakers. Time to consolidate territories and focus on the 2-4% of physicians that have prescribed. The current sales force size is not necessary to call on 96-98% of physicians who have not written in 7 months since launch.

I am sure that there are those who disagree but the numbers are what they are.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I think downsize current territories and make them larger. In the territories that are under producing, or I should say under-under producing, don't fill the vacancy and split territory between geographies adjacent territories.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with most of your post except the access issue. Neuor's and epileptologists in my territory have no problem getting Aptiom approved even where there are PA's or ST's. My problem is that they don't see any need for this product. Those that have tried claim it is no better than others and a lot of the generics. They just cant stomach Rxing a $20 a day med when one that costs penny's works just as well. It's also hard to overcome the counter detailing of our competitor who are showing we have the same 3 active metabolites of oxcarb and I've had many questions recently from docs about aptiom failing terribly in Europe where it has been out for over 5 years. Is that true? I'm hearing that more and more in my territory.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Knee pads and an open mind

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The challenge is selling a me too drug when you are a me too to 5-6 others drugs with the same indication. Those drugs have been around for 10-14 years. Physicians are familiar with those drugs, manage side effects,they work, and the generic cost makes them appealing to patients.

In a crowded market, with questionable perceived advantages, this is an extremely difficult drug to promote. The drug is not horrible. It just has a very small space to be used. Between Fycompa and Vimpat, this drug is far closer to a Fycompa. Use when generic Trileptal fails. There may be a small market for that but it rests with epileptologists.

See the Eisai model for Fycompa a small sales force 50-55 reps calling on higher potential neurologists and a contract sales force calling on lower potential physicians. This is cheaper for Sunovion and way more effective. It appears that analysts at Sunovion really over valued the potential of this drug and misjudged the market.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true post! FYCOMPA model makes sense. Under 50 reps and no contracting and they are doing quite well per their goal attainment. The other real problem with Aptiom is that most formulary's are listing it as a carbamazepine derivative and not a 2nd generation Anticonvulsant. FYCOMPA and Vimpat are seen as unique compounds by physicians and Aptiom is seen as a retread of a generic. With it being listed as a carbamazepine derivative on most formulary's this fact solidifies physicians perception that it's just another retread carb of which they already have a multitude that are generic to choose from. This drug was dead on arrival. The poster discussing it failing miserably in over 8 different European countries should have been a tip off if it is really true. Even the worst marketed product will get traction if it really offers some type of benefit. That does not seem to be the case with aptiom in Europe and is proving to be the case with aptiom in the good 'ol US of A.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fycompa doesn't sell either. nice try.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here you go...buy yourself a time machine, transport yourself back to the year 2000, and then use all of the tools at your disposal - speaker programs and the like. Our management team seems to be stuck in time, forcing these damn things down our throats, thinking what worked back then should work now!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Alright Smart ass, where would someone get a time machine? Serious replies only!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yo, I just bought a time machine on Craigslist. I went forward to 2016 and SDP-Sunovion no longer existed. Saw many SDP reps working at Inventiv for 70k. I also visited cafe pharma in 2016 and noticed only 10 companies were listed, Sunovion was however listed in "lost civilizations". Reality folks, for us and many other companies. Build your network and reputation now! Connect with those externally who are connected and respected. When these difficult times occur you will have a shining star to turn to. There are an elite 1% er group in pharma, network with them and you will always have a job.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the poster was saying that the fycompa folks knew that the market potential was extremely limited so they have a much smaller sales force and marketing team so they can keep them all and be profitable enough to keep the very slow sales incline going. Look we aren't contracting Aptiom just like they aren't contracting. Only problem is they are safe in their jobs because they are not bleeding cash like we are. We have a big sales force, marketing team... And Japan will only let us go on for so long just bleeding and bleeding and bleeding money.

If you are out there trying to sell this product you know our days are numbered.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Probably bought it from AA. Anyone left with this miserable organization that remembers the video played at the NSM where AA 2007 talked to AA 2017? Remember that global organization Sepracor was to become and all the blockbusters Sepracor would have launched from the fabulous molecule twinkers in R&D? Someone needs to go through the meeting archives and see if they can find it to post on you tube.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey DF, mr. CCO in waiting. How bout you do something about this instead of sweating through your dress shirt on a daily basis? Japan is holding you accountable for accelerating Aptiom sales. How does it feel to be staring down the barrel?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did do something. The Gishman is now in charge!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it's actually quite entertaining to see him sweat. I don't know about you, but always thought something "off" with this guy.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why are you still trying when it is a futile effort? Relax, kick back, and wait for your severance payment

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the link. We all have history with our former companies but interesting to see. Not the first 5 minutes, but the expectation and unfortunate hope in Xopenex.

Yeah, Aptiom is doomed too.