Role Play Study

Discussion in 'Sunovion' started by Anonymous, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any advice about the role play on the study in the interview process. Having been in the pharma industry for many years, I have never role played a study that I have not been trained on or went over in detail before. I thought this was against pharma guidelines to talk about something like this. How did it go for those who have done it already, any advice on what they are looking for in the role play?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Have fun in Atlanta everyone!

Elger Study Script
    Rep: Dr., the last time you and I talked, you agreed to allow me to come in today and spend a few minutes discussing one of the clinical trials used to gain FDA approval for Aptiom®. Is now still a good time?

Dr: Sure, I guess I do have a minute or two. What do you have to tell me?

Rep: Perfect. Before I get into the study, let me ask you; is it safe to assume that there can be challenges physicians face when treating a patient with an AED such as getting the patients' seizures under control, or having a patient experience adverse events from their medications?

Dr: Yes, those can be challenges for sure.

Rep: What other challenges do you face when treating a patient with an AED?

Dr: Well, I worry about drug to drug interactions and some of these medications tend to be expensive, too.

Rep: I'll be sure to address those concerns as well over the course of our discussion today. Does that sound good?

Dr: OK

Rep: Let's take a look at the information I have for you today:

1. The purpose of this study was to measure the efficacy and safety of Aptiom® as adjunctive therapy for refractory partial seizures in adults.

Rep (con’t): Do you see patients like those just described?

Dr: I sure do.

Rep: OK. Let’s continue.

2. This was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, phase III study published in Epilepsia in March 2009 by Dr. Christian Elger. Participation in the study lasted 26 weeks. 402 patients were randomized into 4 groups; an Aptiom® 400mg group, an 800mg group, a 1,200mg group, and a placebo group.
    3. Treatment with Aptiom® demonstrated statistically significant reductions in standardized seizure frequency vs. placebo, and statistically more Aptiom® treated patients experienced seizure frequency reductions of 50% or more from baseline. The rate of discontinuation as a result of any adverse event was 8.2% for the recommended maintenance dose of 800mg and 3.9% for patients receiving placebo.
    4. Aptiom®, 800 and 1,200mg once-daily, was well tolerated and more effective than placebo in patients who were refractory to treatment with one or two concomitant AEDs.

Rep (con’t): How do these results compare with what you are seeing in your practice?

Dr: Well, I have patients who I am having problems getting controlled on their AEDs, for sure.

Rep: Does Aptiom® sound like an option for those patients?

Dr: I suppose so.

Rep: What are some of the adverse events your patients are experiencing?

Dr: I see a bunch and I sometimes wonder how compliant my patients are with their AEDs.

Rep: The most common adverse events seen in this study were dizziness, headache, and diplopia. But, let me remind you that the rate of discontinuation due to any adverse event was low, at 8.2%, at the recommended maintenance dose of 800mg vs. 3.9% for patients receiving placebo. How would a tolerability profile like this benefit your patients?

Dr: That would be great.

Rep: Earlier, you mentioned that drug to drug interactions and cost were concerns to you also. Would you like me to go over the drug to drug interactions with you?

Dr: Sure, why not?

Rep: Aptiom® has minimal interaction with the cytochrome P450 liver enzymes, thereby decreasing the risk for drug to drug interactions compared to carbamazepine and oxcarbazepine. Here are the considerations when prescribing Aptiom®:
    • Carbamazepine: You may need to adjust the dose for Aptiom® or carbamazepine.
    • Phenytoin: A higher dose of Aptiom® may be necessary and dose adjustment may be needed for phenytoin based on clinical response and serum levels of phenytoin.
    • Phenobarbital or Primidone: A higher dosage of Aptiom® may be necessary.
    • Hormonal Contraceptives: Aptiom® may decrease the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives. Females of reproductive potential should use additional or alternative non-hormonal birth control.

Rep (con’t): How do these recommendations sound to you?

Dr: Sounds good.

Rep: I will address your cost concerns more specifically on our next visit because Aptiom® pricing is unavailable at this time. I want to challenge you to consider this, however:

Rep (con’t): Aptiom®, 800mg and 1,200mg once-daily, was well tolerated and more effective than placebo in patients who were refractory to treatment with one or two concomitant AEDs. Furthermore, treatment with Aptiom® demonstrated statistically significant reductions in standardized seizure frequency vs. placebo, and statistically more Aptiom® treated patients experienced seizure frequency reductions of 50% or more from baseline. The rate of discontinuation as a result of any adverse event was 8.2% for the recommended maintenance dose of 800mg and 3.9% for patients receiving placebo.

Rep (con’t): Earlier you mentioned that based on these results you would consider Aptiom® as an option for these patients. Will you prescribe Aptiom® for these patients?

Dr: Absolutely!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your hired! Great job on that one. Its almost like you are in sales training!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr., the next time we talk, I would like to discuss Aptiom for your bipolar patients. Do you have any patients currently taking an atypical antipsychotic like Latuda who are still refractory?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr. Allergist, Aptiom can also be prescribed for AR, oh, no whoops that was Zetonna.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just be yourself. Know the data but focus on having a conversation.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bad advice. Don't be yourself. You are an idiot. Don't be an idiot. Sign up for dish and don't be yourself

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stand in front of manager and say Aptiom has an amazing responder rate at the dose many can't tolerate. I know 20% dropped off the 1200mg dose and the 400mg dose was comparable to placebo, but we may have a slight benefit with 800mg dose. You don't have any comparisons to how this compares to generic trileptal, but maybe neuros will take the leap of faith and write for you a script per month. The company is relying on neurologists being scared of generics, but reality is that they are hesitant to SWITCH to a generic from a branded agent. They are not against starting a patient on generic trileptal though. Remember that these patients have to be on many meds. Do you think they are gonna pay $150 out of pocket for a drug not shown to be better than generic trileptal for a $10 copay? Truly think about it. This drug is not going to make it! Don't get sucked into the hype. Companies will tell you that the marketing team surveyed doctors and that they can't wait. Then you get into the field and see reality. Too late then! The company is not going to pay the rebates for better formulary coverage, and there are only 3 studies, one of which shows inconsistent efficacy. I walked away after researching this and urge others to do their homework before getting sucked into a shit storm!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So true!!! I'm sure some stupid manager will be on here Monday trying to rally the troops and say that if you are not a believer then you must not have advanced in the interview process. What arrogant assholes to think no one could possibly think their product is just plain shit. Sorry to hit you with reality. I wasn't involved in the interview process because I think your company sucks, and so does your product.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You weren't involved in the interview process and you think the product and the company suck. So why exactly are you replying to a 20+ long thread on the interviewing process?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How do you know who was involved in the interview process. I am going to Atlanta and I also received a lot of generic emails and calls from Princeton One asking if I am still interested do nothing, but if I've changed my mind to click on the link to take myself out of the running. Pretty nerve racking and I know that I am also starting to look closer at some issues mentioned on this site. I want an offer, but I don't want to take it if it's gonna be a shitty position.