how about a positive drug story?

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

(Reuters) - Novartis has ended a late-stage clinical trial of a chronic heart failure drug early, following strong interim results, giving the Swiss drugmaker a boost after recent setbacks to another heart failure medicine.

The Basel-based firm said on Monday an independent committee had unanimously recommended it close its PARADIGM-HF study ahead of time after results showed patients receiving its LCZ696 drug lived longer without being hospitalized for heart failure than those who were given enalapril, the standard care.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/31/us-novartis-heartdrug-study-idUSBREA2U09720140331

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fast forward a few months. "Although the FDA did not approve, we will continue to work hard to deliver this important treatment to patients."

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

+1 for the humor, although methinks this case is nothing like the serelaxin submission.
    note the trial design.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01035255

The study will evaluate the efficacy and safety of LCZ696 compared to enalapril on morbidity and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure (NYHA Class II - IV and EF =< 35%).

Condition Intervention Phase
    Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
    Drug: LCZ696 200 mg BID
    Drug: Enalapril 10 mg BID
    Phase 3

Study Type: Interventional
    Study Design: Allocation: Randomized
    Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
    Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator)
    Primary Purpose: Treatment
    Official Title: A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel Group, Active-controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of LCZ696 Compared to Enalapril on Morbidity and Mortality in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction

Primary Outcome Measures:
    Time to first occurrence of the composite endpoint, which is defined as either CV death or HF hospitalization [ Time Frame: up to 4yrs ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

Secondary Outcome Measures:
    Change in the clinical summary score for HF symptoms and physical limitations (as assessed by KCCQ). [ Time Frame: up to 4yrs ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
    Time to all-cause mortality [ Time Frame: up to 4yrs ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
    Time to occurrence of renal dysfunction [ Time Frame: up to 4yrs ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How about this. Novartis as usual took some lame generic like enalapril OK and compared that to a COMBINATION BID regiment of diovan plus some other lame , tekturkey type 'novel' agent so why not compare this BID COMBO to say an Altace / Norvasc combo ?
    or their own Lotrel ? which would be once a day as an added benefit .
    More smoke & mirror marketing ahead & all the lemmings get pumped up to sell hype just like valturna.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I tested positive and got fired last month.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm positive this drug is going to suck

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another combo with Diovan? Please tell me this is a April Fool's day joke?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hype? really?
    a broken clock can be right twice a day:

...the news was even better than Novartis had said in its press release. I spoke with the co-principal investigator of the trial, Milton Packer, who told me that the trial had been stopped because of a highly statistically significant reduction in cardiovascular mortality in patients taking LCZ696 instead of the current gold standard of treatment, an ACE inhibitor. Marc Pfeffer, a cardiologist at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital with long experience in heart failure, told me that he interprets “the stopping of a major clinical outcome trial for effectiveness by an experienced DSMB [Data and Safety Monitoring Board] as indicating that the final results will be both definitive and important.”

The first thing to know is that a reduction in cardiovascular mortality is a really big deal. In heart failure, and in other cardiovascular conditions, there are only a few therapies that have been able to show this benefit (such as, for example, an ACE inhibitor in heart failure or a statin in coronary disease). And the presence of these established therapies makes it even harder to find new drugs with added benefit. And, as best I can recall, there’s never been a case in which another drug has been shown to be dramatically superior to one of these bedrocks of therapy. In other words, if the PARADIGM-HF trial lives up to its promise, it may lead to LCZ696 replacing the ACE inhibitors and ARBs as a cornerstone of therapy. That would be huge.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhusten/2014/04/01/a-new-novartis-heart-failure-drug-might-be-a-blockbuster/

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

statistical difference of .000134...in a subset of patients n=1.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You people are clowns. 10 mg of enalipril is the "gold standard" really since when ?
    Did they actually manage to find HF patient only on an ace? Seriously? Most are on a cocktail more akin to one or more of the following; ramapril (or ARB) amlodipine, diuretics, digoxin, aldosterone antagonists & a BB. Marc Pfeffer & Fudge Packer have been on the NVS payroll for what, over a decade & a half? The street may be clueless about these ridiculous projections (as they were serelaxin & the others) The physicians & Insurance Co's will be another matter entirely & let's not forget the current Novartis stellar reputation regardless of the H Y P E of their press releases.
    Listen Bozo, bring on a Study where this umpteenth Diovan Combo is also compared to other COMBO's

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Then check put any other company aside from Nofartis, which stinks in the clinical trial process.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

are you a disgruntled (former) employee?
    are you short novartis stock?
    or do you simply enjoy mindf--king the algos / people?

that's cool if it's the 3rd option... ;-)

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I tested positive too. Now I work for Sanofi. Much better place.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

why do american employees get drug tested?
    sounds like invasion of privacy...