Novartis: A Culture of Elitism and Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Novartis' started by Anonymous, Dec 1, 2014 at 7:38 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It’s not surprising that Novartis leadership is so ignorant. It’s full of miss-guided people unaware of their own inadequacy. Novartis has created a dysfunctional culture based upon a belief that people from Ivy League schools (i.e. Yale, Columbia) top MBA programs (i.e. Wharton, Kellogg) and premium tier consulting firms (i.e. McKinsey, BCG) are the chosen few that understand what it takes to be successful . This Elitist attitude of chosen privilege corrupts true thoughtful thinking and distorts innovation. Elitist’s collectively are the source of Novartis’s own issues and poor management. The problem is that it’s a growing recipe across the entire industry.

See if you can relate these characteristics to your leader:

- Programed to believe entitlement to walled domains guarded by locked gates, with admission granted only to the select

- A sense of smugness and self-congratulation due to position or fortune in life

- Projects the unmistakable message that people are beneath him

- Cultivated liberal attitude, wanting to advocate on behalf of the working class while being unable to hold a simple conversation with anyone in it

- Incapable of talking or having relationships to people who aren’t like them

- Taught to think that measures of intelligence, academics, and projects are measures of value in some moral or metaphysical sense

- Inculcates a false sense of self-worth. Learn to think in terms of those numbers, events, grades, or scores vs character or acheivement

- Biased in analytical intelligence, but lacking in social intelligence and emotional intelligence and creative ability.

- No true sense of true accountability or consequence as a result of a distorted perception of responsibility

- Fear those with potential to be more innovative, insightful, or successful, thus requiring their micro-management or removal

- To assure that their noble drive is respected, a cold logic approach is employed supported by unjustifiably claims that are implemented by manipulating causes and individuals against one another.

Sound familiar?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like you found Myburgh's bio, MD for the NE

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You hit it on the head. Thats exactly where Novartis went wrong the last few years. They continue to put the wrong people in place. EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP has been so far disconnected from the US for last several years. They truly have no idea how bad its gotten. Previous Exec Leadership used to be involved alot more, seen more often, and used to put good people leaders in place that drove business and a good culture. When will they realize the culture is what drives a company and putting these people in place that have nice plaques on there wall doesn't work. So much for the Global surveys of the past.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

things will improve when it's time for the Global survey and then return to shit

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You described this company perfectly. This is the attitude across all divisions. The worst being what I have seen in Vaccines and those Directors and Heads that come from there to other Novartis divisions.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The root cause goes deeper.

Seeking out-sized financial gains as a reward for basic healthcare services (i.e., caring and curing) is the most tragic lesson of our times.

When did we lose the satisfaction of simply helping a fellow human being without the expectation of receiving anything in return?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The invisible hand is a greedy one.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the conventional notion of "invisible hand" is mistaken and that though worshipped by conservatives, Adam Smith is very rarely read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaZORYaygo0

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Novartis: A Culture of Elitism and Dysfunctiontune

Spot on! Biggest bunch of intellectual losers in all of Pharma. The fence around East Hanover is mean't to maintain the "Basel Village"!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

NVS has a horrible culture! It's a toxic blend of self serving, elitist, ego maniacs that perpetuate a "we know it better than you" attitude" and the "followers" who drink the cool aid!! The fence helps protect East Hanover from the Novartian clan.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Gilenya franchise is the perfect example of dysfunction. 1st oral MS product to market and physicians and patients were excited. Complete failure at launch with a management team made up of PC managers. 10% market share at 4 years while other products surpassed Gilenya. THIS IS A DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leadership is weak and getting weaker. This leadership is so bad the are more concerned with reach and frequency than having a doctor prescribe Gilenya.

Leadership - Your PC tactics have not worked, are not working and won't work in the future.

Basel - time to get rid of all Gilenya leadership RBD and above in the US. How embarrassing is a 10% market share?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I feel like I need to justify doing my job in the MSBU, it's gotten so bad my manager just gets lip service from me so they can put it on a spread sheet and make it "appear" to those above them that they know what they are doing.... The good old boys club pats themselves on the back at ever turn and this drug has been a complete failure... Not due to the compound but due to the lack of "true leadership" and their ability to think past their egos.... Biogens Tecfidera is predicted to be a multi BIILION dollar drug (one of the top 15 world wide) by 2020. Better drug? No..... Better leadership and marketing......Hell yes. Gilenya isn't predicted to be even close....... If this were my company, I'd start at the top of the leadership inadequacy and work my way down...... I don't know anyone in the field that truly feels the people above them know or care what they are doing........

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So..........Joseph Jimenez! I've read your articles on leadership and management; know that you read this blog; and wonder how much of this toxic culture is your true vision and if all that management theory is just corporate hype! Are you just pouring the Cool Aid or too afraid to really stand up and make a difference?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He just created a chief ethics and compliance office with a mandate to improve the internal health and external image of the company, which is an acknowledgment that we have not always been on our best behavior. And there are new values and behaviors, two of which include integrity and courage.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Joe, great job of passing the buck to some other shmuck! I'm sure that they will have independent authority and immunity to investigate, in essence, Novartis itself and make changes. Don't we already have a non-working ethics and compliance group? Don't we have a code of conduct? Why don't you hire someone with character already wrongly screwed by the company to investigate the organization? Likely too risky, as you do not really want an impartial assessment of Novartis's culture and to change it.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have some beef with EC? He is one of the best in the biz; almost got poached to turnaround Sanofi.

And next year is the global survey, so expect some more change in 2016.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Best in the business of giving lip service! The substance of this company isn't Heinz catsup.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You really think that's the reason ?? :)))
    More like the Plumbers Department..find and stop leaks.!
    Maybe another 1-800-Crime line?
    See any integrity and courage around..let me know.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spot on!